Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer feeding in weather conditions

Deer feeding in weather conditions

Hi
    Is deer feeding affected by bad weather?
    will strong winds or heavy rain put them off or will they just carry on regardless.

Thanks for any advice

They run when I fart near them.

My experience with sika is that I see more of them on a dull wet day providing it is relatively calm but that wind and rain seems to make them vanish.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Roe in my neck of the woods don't move much in driving rain, can see them stick their heads out from cover though for a few mins

Roe deer IMO do not like high winds and rain. But will feed out in drizzel with out seeming to notice.But to really find out you need to be out in bad weather your self and this is were most deer stalkers fail.

Deer will seek to avoid the worst of the weather. Either wait it out for a short time or find food under shelter.

They still need to eat but won't choose to get wet/cold doing it.

All ruminants need to feed every three or four hours, but equally deer don't like bad weather, so if its pissing with rain they will browse in amongst deep cover if there is food there. On open ground they will get into small pockets and feed there.

The rumen itself produces a lot of heat, so certainly the bigger deer, cattle etc are not so much worried by the cold, provided the have food. What they don't like is wet and damp.

In my experience Roe deer generally tend to stay in cover during very heavy rain and wind although I have been out in very heavy rain and come across Roe deer feeding in the open albeit sometimes for only brief periods. It is however long enough to get a shot at them. Red deer seem less bothered and I have seen woodland stags feeding out in the open in very heavy rainfall.

Going out just after the rainfall has finished has always been productive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by andreas1980 View Post
    In my experience Roe deer generally tend to stay in cover during very heavy rain and wind although I have been out in very heavy rain and come across Roe deer feeding in the open albeit sometimes for only brief periods.

Going out just after the rainfall has finished has always been productive for me.
    +1

Deer Dog Available
    Rain and bad weather will aways effect deer on most areas, Im sure you will find out on your own accord.