Thread: Hunting in the snow!

Hunting in the snow!

I decided to brave the -10 temperature yesterday and headed out with a couple of friends to hunt roe deer with a dog. In Norway we use small dogs with short legs so as not to panic the animals as they can't run very fast, especially in the snow and simly bumble along a few hundred meters behind them barking. We started the hunt in one area and after a short search in the area the dog, a wirehaired dachshund had moved off into a completely different part of our terrain, so we gathered up our gear and re-located.

As I crept into my new post I could hear the dog barking just a couple of hundred meters away so I was extra quiet approaching the post so as not to scare any animals in the area. As soon as my head cleared the rise I saw a roe deer standing under the electric cables, silhouetted nicely against the snow, up with the scope I couldn't make out if it was a kid or a doe, so I crept in closer to be sure as we have an agreement not to shoot the does. At about 75 meters I could see that this was a button buck, so I got my combination rifle/shotgun ready and put the cross hairs tight behind the front legs and took the shot. The 7x57R rifle rang out and I heard the pop as the bullet hit home, the roe deer shuddered to the shot, turned and walked away, I was confident that this was a good shot, so I gave it five minutes before making my way over. When I arrived at the shot site, I could see a good amount of blood on the snow and was happy that the shot was good, I then turned to my right and there I found the roe deer just 3-4 meters from where it was shot lying by a small pine tree. I gralloched the kid and upon inspection could see that the bullet had gone straight through the heart.

The buck kid had been seperated from the doe and was looking back over its shoulder towards the barking dog which was chasing after the doe.

I recorded the shot on my new Contour ROAM action camera so will edit that and get the video on as soon as I get time.

Here is a link to the video from my Contour ROAM Action Cam:
    Hunting in the snow
    Last edited by Jonher; 02-12-2012 at 21:35. Reason: link to video added
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Account Suspended
    Congratulations on your well taken buck and thanks for posting that.

I've been toying with the idea of a combo unit for "walked up"/"rough" shooting for a while now. So, I'd really like to know more about your setup... ie. Make of gun? Full specification? Scope&mount system? ... and "that" camera? ... etc ... Looking forward to the video too... if you don't want to post it on the forum I'd be happy to just see it.. in confidence, of which you can be assured.

Atb~Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Congratulations on your well taken buck and thanks for posting that.

I've been toying with the idea of a combo unit for "walked up"/"rough" shooting for a while now. So, I'd really like to know more about your setup... ie. Make of gun? Full specification? Scope&mount system? ... and "that" camera? ... etc ... Looking forward to the video too... if you don't want to post it on the forum I'd be happy to just see it.. in confidence, of which you can be assured.
    Atb~Tom
    + 1 on that !

Hi Tamus,

Thanks for the reply, I find the combi to be a really great piece of kit. When stalking I always have my scope on the lowest mag (1.5x) so that if I flush out a hare or a bird I can have a pop with the shotgun and if you see something a bit bigger you can quickly screw up the mag if needed.

My setup is as follows:
    Combi: Sabatti Forest Deluxe 7x57R / 12-76 with fixed barrels
    Scope: Meopta Artemis 1.5-6x42
    Mounts: Sako, don't remember model the gunshop just sorted it for me to fit the dove-tail.
    Camera: Contour ROAM, if you look on my blog i've done a little write up about it, I only got it last week but so far I'm really happy with it.

The rifle trigger wasn't the smoothest when I got it so I had the gunsmith sweeten it up a bit, also had him install an adjustable cheeck piece as with the scope mounted it was too low.

Ammunition wise, I'm using S&B brass with 140 grain Sierra ProHunter doing approx. 790m/s these are grouping under an inch at 100mm

Here's some pics of my combi.

I'm still on editing the vid but I'll send you a link when I'm done, feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Here's a link to the video:
    Hunting in the snow
    Last edited by Jonher; 02-12-2012 at 21:33. Reason: link added for video
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Account Suspended
    Thanks Jonathan.

I checked out the blog earlier too.

Interesting stuff, on all counts.