Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West mercia and .243's

West mercia and .243's

has anyone on here got any experience of west mercia fd granting a ticket for .243's as a first rifle? only reason i ask is that for what i will be using it for (fox control mainly on the shoot my mate keeps and i help out on, with deer coming into the equation as time and experience goes by) the .243 should be the ideal caliber for what i want and i don't want to own numerous rifles-if you see what i mean (!). i have experience shooting centrefires, am 28 and have held a shotgun certificate for a few (3) years, but been shooting a lot longer. i have around 600 acres between two farms to shoot over with fox and deer on them. more than happy to go under a mentor if needs be to get the deer on, but the real priority is the foxes at the mo...

It shouldn't be a problem if you have both foxes and deer you need to control and have the necessary permissions - just make sure they grant it for fox control as a seperate activity to stalking, rather than 'foxes whilst stalking' by making it clear to your FEO what you need.

Give me a shout if you're stuck for a mentor.

Adam.

cheers adam. we have a few 'pest deer' but they are infrequent. the foxes on the other hand are bloody nightmare! there are a few guys that are meant to control them but they are pretty unreliable (lucky for me!). so i need to stress to the FEO that the .243 will be for stalking as well as pest deer and fox? i see. turn around time they recon is about 10-12 weeks. shame cos i just saw a bargain of a rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by fangler View Post
    cheers adam. we have a few 'pest deer' but they are infrequent. the foxes on the other hand are bloody nightmare! there are a few guys that are meant to control them but they are pretty unreliable (lucky for me!). so i need to stress to the FEO that the .243 will be for stalking as well as pest deer and fox? i see. turn around time they recon is about 10-12 weeks. shame cos i just saw a bargain of a rifle!
    Ask for the any other lawful quarry on the ticket. They are doing that now. I had a visit from my areas's new firearms officer last wednesday. Couldn't meet a nicer more helpful guy

They are fully upto date now and also when I mentioned about the any other lawful quarry. He said send your ticket in. With a note Saying about the chat we had. And they would sort it.
    Last edited by jay 22; 03-12-2012 at 09:56.

Request that they add " Deer and All Other Lawfull Quarry" - Sorted!

I am west mercia and have been granted the above for .308

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    It shouldn't be a problem if you have both foxes and deer you need to control and have the necessary permissions - just make sure they grant it for fox control as a seperate activity to stalking, rather than 'foxes whilst stalking' by making it clear to your FEO what you need.

Give me a shout if you're stuck for a mentor.

Adam.

super. i'll have a chinwag with the chap and see what he says.

As a first rifle they will give it with a mentor condition. They did with mine.
    As said above put down 'deer with any other lawful quarry'

Jonathon

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    As a first rifle they will give it with a mentor condition. They did with mine.
    As said above put down 'deer with any other lawful quarry'

Jonathon
    i take it that that is mentored for fox as well as deer? call me daft if you will..

Yes the mentor condition is associated with the rifle not the use of the rifle. I too have been slapped with a mentor condition for .308 even though I have already had one previously for rimfire. Should only take a few months to get it removed. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by fangler View Post
    i take it that that is mentored for fox as well as deer? call me daft if you will..

Quote Originally Posted by HuN73R666 View Post
    Yes the mentor condition is associated with the rifle not the use of the rifle. I too have been slapped with a mentor condition for .308 even though I have already had one previously for rimfire. Should only take a few months to get it removed. I hope.
    cheers. i am in favor of the mentoring condition. i'd say that i am safe with guns, but how are the police supposed to know that? at the end of the day in the wrong hands (and even in the right hands) a rifle is an incredibly dangerous weapon and while the mentoring condition may seem like a faff about it is a good way of ensuring a new rifle goes about his/her business safely and conscientiously. there is nothing like hands on, sound experience to learn from.