Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 thou off lands

10 thou off lands

As a novice at reloading (all the gear and no idea) I'm curious as to how you measure the seating depth on a given round. I have a suggested load which I am told should be set 10 thou' off the lands. I know why this needs to be done the question is how do I determin how far off the lands I am. I haven't as yet loaded any of my own as I firmly believe in reseaching what I'm doing before blowing myself up. Father Christmas is bringing me a reloading manual but dispite the hints and suggestions I'm not allowed to have it before then. So couold someone please satisfy my curiosity before impatiance gets the better of me. I have considered measuring a factory round as they should in theory be set off the lands. Also the information that came with the loading dies (Lee) does give some suggestions of overall length, but this doesn't reall tell me what distance the bullet is from the lands.

Watch this and all will be revealed.

Then to get accurate reputable rounds measure to give and not bullet tip as explained in following video

You really don't need to measure off of the lands. Simply seat to minimum OAL (or close) for your first loading, and go out in increments of your choosing until you hit magazine length. To accurately adjust the seater, measure the seating stem depth with the back end of the vernier to the top of the die body. When you've got the most accurate load, you are there, and it doesn't matter how far off the lands your bullet is.

People worry about the lands too much. My most accurate .223 loads were made with no regard for them.~Muir

Starting out with reloading can be an absolute nightmare because there's so much conflicting information, so many personal opinions and a whole load of myths. To those new to reloading, it makes the whole process very daunting.

As Muir says, I wouldn't worry too much about getting so close to the lands just yet. Start your initial tests based off the OAL of your most accurate factory round. Use a comparator and take an average of 5 lengths (you'll be surprised how much they can differ).

Once you have found a powder charge and bullet head that your rile works well with, then experiment by getting close to the lands.

Thats a relief, one thing I don't have to worry about getting right at the moment. last thing I need on Boxing day is to come back with no eyebrows, or worse.
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenover View Post
    last thing I need on Boxing day is to come back with no eyebrows, or worse.
    Blame it on the flaming Christmas pud

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenover View Post
    As a novice at reloading (all the gear and no idea) I'm curious as to how you measure the seating depth on a given round. I have a suggested load which I am told should be set 10 thou' off the lands. I know why this needs to be done the question is how do I determin how far off the lands I am. I haven't as yet loaded any of my own as I firmly believe in reseaching what I'm doing before blowing myself up. Father Christmas is bringing me a reloading manual but dispite the hints and suggestions I'm not allowed to have it before then. So couold someone please satisfy my curiosity before impatiance gets the better of me. I have considered measuring a factory round as they should in theory be set off the lands. Also the information that came with the loading dies (Lee) does give some suggestions of overall length, but this doesn't reall tell me what distance the bullet is from the lands.
    some very good advice has been given. Just a quick question though! Have you a set of calipers or a micrometer? If not you will need these to determin any AOL. I use a rcbs precision mic, they can be used to determin your chamber length, case head space (which I think is important for good accuracy) and AOL of your loaded round. There are other makes like stoney point which with a good set of calipers and bushings make life easy aswell.

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    some very good advice has been given. Just a quick question though! Have you a set of calipers or a micrometer? If not you will need these to determin any AOL. I use a rcbs precision mic, they can be used to determin your chamber length, case head space (which I think is important for good accuracy) and AOL of your loaded round. There are other makes like stoney point which with a good set of calipers and bushings make life easy aswell.

Nutty
    Micrometer??? OAL???

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    Micrometer??? OAL???
    Rcbs precision mic..... Ok OAL. Ah to be perfect...