Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: storing a rifle with or without moderator on.

storing a rifle with or without moderator on.

After a conversation with a couple of mates how do you store your rifles ,do you keep your moderators on or take them off,one takes them off,one keeps them on saying point of impact might shift if you take them off and dont put them on exactly the same.im not sure normally keep mine on only comes off if its got soaked and then zeros checked.just curious really.stuart

Quote Originally Posted by macfarlane View Post
    After a conversation with a couple of mates how do you store your rifles ,do you keep your moderators on or take them off,one takes them off,one keeps them on saying point of impact might shift if you take them off and dont put them on exactly the same.im not sure normally keep mine on only comes off if its got soaked and then zeros checked.just curious really.stuart
    Stuart.

Rifle smiths all over the land will be rubbing their hands with glee. I put the moderator on after I get out of my car to start stalking. When I return to the car, I unload the rifle, then remove the moderator and put the moderator in my rucksack. The moderator acts just like a car exhaust and look how quickly they rust.

Regards JCS

if you dont take it off it will ruin your rifle the sulfur will eat away the barrel ,**** the crown and accuracy . i would rather have a shift and do a sighter shot to test but to be honest i have never had an issue if you start with it tight ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

All my moderated rifles show a change in POI depending on whether the mod is on or off.

However, the mod-on POI has never changed as a result of removing and replacing the same mod.

I know this because I always remove mod when a rifle's not being used, to prevent the crown and bore corrosion which certainly will result, if not in a change of POI, then at least a loss of accuracy!

In summary, I'd suggest ALWAYS removing a mod for storage, whatever the circumstances. Spend some time at the target checking whether there's a change of POI when you've taken the mod off and put it back on again: as I say, I've never had this happen with any of mine.

What is the opinion when it comes to a stainless barrel with a titanium mod?

I only take mine off if it gets wet or for cleaning and then it goes back on and I haven't noticed any build up or corrosion at all.

take it off, and spray with WD40 or other light oil to neutralise the acid in the combustion products, leave it on and expect to soon have a handy short barreled rifle for those woodland stalks
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    What is the opinion when it comes to a stainless barrel with a titanium mod?

I only take mine off if it gets wet or for cleaning and then it goes back on and I haven't noticed any build up or corrosion at all.
    stainless will still rot if exposed to acidic liquids, you may just be lucky that the mod isn't dripping into the barrel
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    take it off, and spray with WD40 or other light oil to neutralise the acid in the combustion products, leave it on and expect to soon have a handy short barreled rifle for those woodland stalks
    DONT use WD40
    USE 3in1 oil

Quote Originally Posted by markws80 View Post
    DONT use WD40
    USE 3in1 oil
    use whatever floats your boat, I use what the manufacturers advise
    Last edited by kennyc; 03-12-2012 at 13:47.