Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My version of venison jerky

My version of venison jerky

In my quest to try different things with the meat I have at my disposal I thought I would try making some jerky or biltong, tbh it's just dried meat to me but I love the stuff, I buy bags of it from The Biltong Place.

I bought a dehydrator on eBay but the company phoned to say it was out of stock, did I want to wait six weeks until they were back in stock or take a refund, I chose the refund. Once the money had been refunded I bought another unit on eBay, this time it was a s/h item. It arrived a week or so later but I never got round to sorting out a batch of meat for it, I dried everything else though, from apples to apricots, bananas to herbs.

I had shot a nice looking hind for a friend of mine and decided to skim a little off for myself to give the dehydrator a try, when I got back off the hill what was sitting on my doorstep? The pricey dehydrator that I had taken a refund for! Result!

Anyway, today I butchered the beast up and cut a few pounds of the lean meat into strips for a trial run. I had grabbed some ingredients at the weekend.

I crushed the Corriander seeds and added the rest of the ingredients followed by a half bottle of beer and some cider vinegar. I poured it over the meat and left it for an hour turning regularly.

I just filled the dehydrator with the meat and set it to 65 degrees C.

My mouth is watering at the smell!

Im trying to upload some photos from the iPad and failing badly, il whack them on PB and post them up.

the ingredients if anyone wants to know....

1/2 cup of cider vinegar
    1 cup of low salt soy sauce
    2 cups soft brown sugar
    2 dessert spoon of Worcestershire sauce
    a splash of liquid smoke
    2 teaspoons of salt
    2 teaspoons of Corriander seeds
    2 teaspoons of dried chilli flake
    1 teaspoon of garlic
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon of English mustard
    half bottle of beer ( I couldn't part with any more)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 03-12-2012 at 18:11.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Whoa, my mouths watering too! Where did you get the liquid smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Whoa, my mouths watering too! Where did you get the liquid smoke?
    Where I buy everything....... eBay!
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    Where I buy everything....... eBay!
    Kinda thought that would be the answer! You use a filleting knife to slice the meat?

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Kinda thought that would be the answer! You use a filleting knife to slice the meat?
    Nope just a standard Victorinox sharp boning knife, the meat doesn't need to be wafer thin. There are some thick bits and thinner bits, il just sift through them during the drying out process. I'm not a fan of very dry leathery jerky, I like a little bit of bounce to it.

That's just over an hour of drying time and the meat is already black and some of the thinner stuff is quite dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Any reason why I shouldn't use the fan oven, set really low, and possibly leave the door ajar?.

Quote Originally Posted by 243ack View Post
    Any reason why I shouldn't use the fan oven, set really low, and possibly leave the door ajar?.

Thats the one! Overnight works for me. A short hot blast to drive excess moisture then set to the lowest temperature it will go.
    Last edited by Paul 600; 03-12-2012 at 20:20.

Nothing to stop you using an over, many people do.

i just figured that it was better to use a 200W dehydrator for a few hours as opposed to running an oven element all day or night.

although it is set on low you still use a lot of energy to heat the oven element albeit its not on for that long as the stat switches it on and off.

Looks great and simple too. Whats next and when can you eat it?