Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marks on Bolt Face

Marks on Bolt Face

Hi there,
    I own an old second hand BSA rifle in 308, which works fine. However I have noticed some marks on the bolt face, hopefully I have managed to attach an image to this post. I don't reload or have I noticed anything unusual when firing or recycling ammunition.

Has anyone seen these marks before? What are they caused by? Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Muddy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolt Face.jpg  

After firing how does the primer look ?

SD Regular
    That's NOT GOOD! What you have is gas coming back around the primer and gas cutting the face of the bolt. On a bolt action rifle I would be extremely concerned about them as if it were to continue eventually it will case gas to escape out the back of the cartridge and you don't want that!

It is not too difficult to repair on a side by side shot gun when you get it. Or on a flat faced bolt. But on a bolt such as yours it will be less easy to repair. My advice? Scrap the rifle AND think it lucky you haven't lost an eye.

I doubt that your use of the rifle has caused the problem but that it has been caused in the past by either over-pressure ammunition or poor cleaning after corrosive primer ammunition was used.

Or maybe over-worn cases/loose primers?

Were these marks there when you bought the rifle?
    I would guess that the cause is either corosive primer residue from shooting cheap surplus ammo, or fire cutting from gas blowback through the primer pocket again from higher pressure surplus ammo, it could even be a combination of the two.

Ian.

Thanks for your comments. As stated, I don't home load and have only used factory Norma or Federal ammo. These cases behave and fire normally and along with the primers look normal after firing (i.e. the same as any other round I have fired in other rifles). The bolt runs smoothly and feels like it is loking up well. The rifle is accurate and I have shot probably 50 rounds with it and 6 deer.

I don't know what ammo the previous owners used or what caused the damage. The marks must have been there when I acquired the rifle (cheaply), for this I only blame myself.

What I want to know is, is it dangerous to continue to use this rifle? If the bolt locks up, how exactly could "I lose an eye"? Has anyone else had this problem?

I agree with enfiledspares, this almost certainly hasn't happened in the 50 rounds while you've owned the rifle.

The danger is that that if you get a duff primer or something it could be enough to knock through that gas cut area and you will end up with pressurised gas and particles of metal/debris coming back at you through or around the bolt. Get a gunsmith to check it out... he might be able to look at the depth of the bolt face compared to the cuts and offer an opinion on safety, or even effect a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy42 View Post
    Thanks for your comments. As stated, I don't home load and have only used factory Norma or Federal ammo. These cases behave and fire normally and along with the primers look normal after firing (i.e. the same as any other round I have fired in other rifles). The bolt runs smoothly and feels like it is loking up well. The rifle is accurate and I have shot probably 50 rounds with it and 6 deer.

I don't know what ammo the previous owners used or what caused the damage. The marks must have been there when I acquired the rifle (cheaply), for this I only blame myself.

What I want to know is, is it dangerous to continue to use this rifle? If the bolt locks up, how exactly could "I lose an eye"? Has anyone else had this problem?
    that 'is' dangerous, because if the cutting gets bigger then the primer gas that is doing the cutting can escape up along the bolt face and travel back in your face, which as stated above means you can get really hurt.

everything I have studied about wear and damage on actions and bolts in the process of trying to stay as safe as possible screams to me that this rifle needs to be scrapped, and in fact, should never have been sold. if this went through an RFD that inspected it, I'd have a word!

I personally can't imagine how you can repair this without affective headspace drastically. but 'smiths' on the forum can probably give better insight
    Last edited by PKL; 04-12-2012 at 09:55.

Shows the value of this forum yet again--theres someone on here that normally has the answer and can back it up.

Also shows that if in doubt just ask.

As someone said above- at least you are OK and now aware of the risk.

So perhaps shopping time!!!

I would say if you like the rifle and it shoots them get a competant gunsmith with a TIG welder to weld and reface that bolt. you could probably do it without having to redrill the firing pin hole if they were careful.

you only need to fill in the gas cuts and face it down to the current headspace dimension

especially if you are only shooting factory ammo and not some 4000fps cruise missile home load