whats your view

hughsurrey

Axiom stock for my Howa 1500 and fitted it and the mag conversion today. I already had one on my Ruger 10/22 which I like, and thought it would be good on the Howa (also thought it would be lighter but there is only 100 gr in it). Not 100% sure, any views:

2012-12-03 13.35.22.jpg

Original thumbhole pepperwood stock :

05042009021.jpg

Not so sure myself.
My 8yr old prefers it though because it looks more like something out of a video game :rofl:

Sorry, a bit cruel but genuinely, I didn't make that up

Axiom stock for my Howa 1500 and fitted it and the mag conversion today. I already had one on my Ruger 10/22 which I like, and thought it would be good on the Howa (also thought it would be lighter but there is only 100 gr in it). Not 100% sure, any views:..

Hugh. It's a good question and I don't know is the short answer. I guess you need to develop a load for each configuration and see which one shoots best. Have fun. Good luck. JCS

Hideous! Spoilt the look of a nice rifle there I reckon. Looks like some kind of 'Geeky' airsoft military replica!
MS

how much was the stock mate and where from i was going to get a boyds thumbhole imported for my howa in the new year iam getting the mag coversion this month when the big guy in red comes he he

Does either of them shoot better?

Personally, I wouldn't want either of them, but given your circumstances I'd choose the one that does the job best.

whatever floats your boat..but as long as it doesn't set foot in the countryside and stays on the range it's fine :lol:

Not to my liking mate,but it is your rifle, so if it floats your boat? Not sure I would want to walk about with it though, a bit Rambo I think.

In my opinion the original looks better, but it's all about which one you shoot better with mate.
ATB
Lee

Gents, thanks for your input, for those that apologised: no need as your views echoed much of the doubts I was having myself. Strangely enough this is offered as a standard option on Howa now, I think my main issue is with the stainless against the black, and disappointment that it didn't save any weight.

Vincy, the Axiom was £118.00, but it was imported from the states which adds £35 in shipping and another £36 quid at this end for customs and handling.

Look a bit OTT fella, prefer the thumbhole myself but to each thier own.

Could'nt help noticing the Bushnell scope, how good/bad is it ?

Rgds, Buck.

It comes down to personal choice and what you want to use it for. It's now probably better suited for range use where you may want to shoot long strings of successive shots. Personally I don't like the look of the axiom stock though it may possibly shoot better than the laminated thumb hole stock but I doubt it. I also don't like the magazine conversion prefering a hinged floor plate myself though for reasons unknown to me many shooters prefer detachable magazines. Like others have said before "whatever floats your boat".

If that is the Axiom stock with the "recoil reducing" hinge and spring in the middle, then I'm sorry but goes against everything I understand to be necessary for consistent accuracy.

The early versions had an adjustable length butt, which might be useful, but new export regulations mean the current models cannot be adjusted without tools.

I think the money would be much better spent on the Bell and Carlsson synthetic stock option with integral alloy bedding, which should also give a useful weight reduction. If that is too pricey then the rubber Hogue stock is good, provided you buy the one with the alloy skeleton and bedding, not the giveaway plastic version.

The original laminate stock is pretty good, but so much better if you have it fitted with pillars and bedded. Thats what I'd do.

Is it a standard M4 type stock tube that the retractable stock fits on to? If so, there are numerous aftermarket stocks available which may be more suitable for use with a scope.

i did think about one off these myself for my 270 but couldn,t get one for a TIKKA at the end off the day as some off the lad have said it,s down to what u think not what any one else thinks /do u like it and does it do the job for u thats all that matters not what any one else thinks .

Back