Where are the Gritters

news of the world

Got up this morning to sheet ice on the roads!
In the space of 1.5miles there are nearly 150 cars stuck on the road between Penpont and Thornhill,several have crashed though the walls and hedges and the emergency services are unable to attend!
All becuase some pen-pusher in the D&G offices is trying to save money,at what cost!!
And there can be no argument from then, they have upto date weather prediction,the roads were clear yesterday surely you would of thought that they would of gritted then if they new what was to come.

I have been called cynical in the past but, I bet the councillors roads are well gritted so they can get to work..
Winge over..

I think they are all up here, I just dropped kids off for the school bus and 2 went past in the last 10 mins both gritting. whats funny is that it's a single track road and it pi@@ing it down and 4 degrees.

Got up this morning to sheet ice on the roads!
In the space of 1.5miles there are nearly 150 cars stuck on the road between Penpont and Thornhill,several have crashed though the walls and hedges and the emergency services are unable to attend!
All becuase some pen-pusher in the D&G offices is trying to save money,at what cost!!
And there can be no argument from then, they have upto date weather prediction,the roads were clear yesterday surely you would of thought that they would of gritted then if they new what was to come.

I have been called cynical in the past but, I bet the councillors roads are well gritted so they can get to work..
Winge over..

Cynical??? ... You're an amatuer. :D

Here's Cynical! ... I'll bet the council staff's roads to work are the very ones that are not gritted... duvet days all round... and to heck with honest working folk trying to go about their dailies.

At least you are ok Tamus. Passed your pad earlier this morning and saw 3. A bit misty though.

I was coming home from work at half 1 this morning andthe M8 was white with frost and there was a artic + trailer in the trees just before the Harthill Junction. The police were there and everything looked ok but not a gritter to be seen. Iam getting sick of this carry on now and I am begining to wonder where all the money is goin for road maintenance, that includes salting them. I thought the transport minister had learned their lesson a couple of years ago but its not looking like it. Nightmare Hootsman

I was coming home from work at half 1 this morning andthe M8 was white with frost and there was a artic + trailer in the trees just before the Harthill Junction. The police were there and everything looked ok but not a gritter to be seen. Iam getting sick of this carry on now and I am begining to wonder where all the money is goin for road maintenance, that includes salting them. I thought the transport minister had learned their lesson a couple of years ago but its not looking like it. Nightmare Hootsman

Never mind Jim, as long as they Grit the A82 you'll be fine & dandy :lol:

if only everything in life was as reliable as a volkswagen !

Best of luck, Buck.

At least you are ok Tamus. Passed your pad earlier this morning and saw 3. A bit misty though.

Plenty on the A721, just one up this road though and the road into the farm's a skating rink... if it's gritters you're on about.

We're on a school bus run to Biggar and since that is the school bus "black hole of Scotland/Britain", they do tend to pull their finger out round about here nowadays (on school days). It wasn't always so. However, non-school days still take the unaware... unawares... every year.

Im just back from aberdeen seen over 40 gritters on my trip this morning.

They're all down here in Northants! Our little village is gritted every night.....mind you the driver does live next door to me.

I am begining to wonder where all the money is goin for road maintenance

The motorist pays between £33 and £46 billion each year in tax and about £9 billion of this is spent on transport. My experience is that most of it is spent on paying whinging communists in local councils who spend their time telling us how cars should be forced off the road in favour of bicycles, or sustainable transport powered by eating beans and farting into the fuel tank or...

The rest is spent on sending politicians to hand wringing sessions on Global Warming. I often wonder if warming were such a bad thing why all these conferences are held in beach resorts where the temperature rarely drops below 25. Maybe the politicians like the heat or maybe next year they are intending to go to Wick in January and stay in a tent?

On the other hand maybe they spend it on going to watch golf:

BBC News - Alex Salmond-led Ryder Cup trip

D&G are bloody terrible when it comes to gritting, in fact so bad they should be putting signs up at region borders warning folk roads not treated.

I do a fair bit of work jist outside regional borders in Lanarkshire and Borders regions and the roads they grit are unbelievable even B class and smaller, BUT they get to regional boundry and they turn back leaving the rest off road untreated, if ur no a local and dinae ken that it's an accident waiting to happen. I ken u should be driving to the road conditions but a fair bit of difference between safe speeds on a treated to an untreated road
On the beeftub road to Edin (A702 i think) the boundry is 1/2 way round a sweeping fastish bend, the borders gritter turns his grit off mid bend and drives on to turn back, a bloody accident waiting to happen, if they have no intention off gritting these wee roads (and to be fair it's a A class road) same on crawfordjohn/sanquar rd D&G never grit, boundry is a small but blind summit. They should atleast warn u when the other side is gritted so u have a chance to slow down, otherwise the first thing u ken ur throu the dyke.

Then again people could always drive to the conditions of the road the council don't actually have to salt the roads at all should they wish

They're all down here in Northants! Our little village is gritted every night.....mind you the driver does live next door to me.
Yep agree there tikka my mate had the call to go in at 4am this morning northants in the shires is generally good for gritting !
Norma

Then again people could always drive to the conditions of the road the council don't actually have to salt the roads at all should they wish

I would dispute that they can just stop gritting without giving notice.
In the past the various councils across the country have spent rate and tax payers money on equipment to grit the roads, as such they have declared it is policy to do so, they cannot then just stop, and still show a duty of care.
Round here they have as yet not started to grit, but they will if the forecast shows temps may fall far enough to warrant it, and then all roads will get done in the area not just main roads.

Neil. :)

My mate says sensors in the road show the Tarmac temp and even the levals of salt on it .he also gets upto date weather reports by text and advance warning of gritter activation .he also gets a tidy on call payment ! over £100 bucks a week cushty !

On the beeftub road to Edin (A702 i think) the boundry is 1/2 way round a sweeping fastish bend, the borders gritter turns his grit off mid bend and drives on to turn back, a bloody accident waiting to happen, if they have no intention off gritting these wee roads (and to be fair it's a A class road) same on crawfordjohn/sanquar rd D&G never grit,

The A702 is a trunk road, so responsibility lies with Transport Scotland

Traffic Scotland > Gritters & Winter Salt Treatment

Click on the road and it will give you the details of the treatment the road is getting.

This one gives you the road details

Traffic Scotland > Weather Stations

So someone sits in a nice cosy office, looking at the details on a computer screen and decides not to grit a road because the weather station says there is a trace of chemical on it. Yet, round the corner, it's like a f**king skating rink :mad:

People are dying on our roads because of these decisions. I sent a letter to my MP a couple of years ago because I felt I was risking my life every morning driving on these roads. I asked about a fatal accident that happened locally on an icy road which happened around lunchtime one day. I got a reply from a local council employee stating that the road was suitably gritted as it had been treated at 3pm the previous day!!

Back