Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .222 Stutzen

.222 Stutzen

I'm toying with the idea of starting to search for a .222 Stutzen for close woodland stalking . . .

I think the cartridge would complement my 25-06 in the rifle safe since I sold my HMR and .223

Anyone got any observations on the stutzen style of rifle, good or bad ?

I have never shot one, but really like the look of them.

Any advice well received.

CADEX

A friend has a CZ 222 Stuzen its a nice little rifle. Not so easy to moderate but probably is one of the mildest report centre fire cartridges. Neat little action and no problem with Roe deer, foxes etc.

I also have a 223 and cant see much difference between the two.

Cheers

i have an older stutzen and love it they are a joy to shoot and carry they balance very well on the shoulder its my go to rifle but its in 270 ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

lovely idea, and good on you

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of starting to search for a .222 Stutzen for close woodland stalking . . .

I think the cartridge would complement my 25-06 in the rifle safe since I sold my HMR and .223

Anyone got any observations on the stutzen style of rifle, good or bad ?

I have never shot one, but really like the look of them.

Any advice well received.

CADEX
    I too, like the look of them and have owned a few in the past, a Krikko 243 [one being advertised here at the mo] being my favourite and a Mannlicher 222 has always been on the wish list.

However a FC issue BSA CF2 [270w], put me off forever, woodwork like a Bananna!!!!!!!

So, yes, Stutzens are fine as long as the wood quality and fit is 100% and you aren't subjecting the rifle to daily down pours!

A good pal has a Mannlicher Schoener [butter knife handle] 270, lovely rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    A friend has a CZ 222 Stuzen its a nice little rifle. Not so easy to moderate but probably is one of the mildest report centre fire cartridges. Neat little action and no problem with Roe deer, foxes etc.

I also have a 223 and cant see much difference between the two.

Cheers
    I have no intention of moderating it mate, would just fit it with a 6-42 S+B, Swarovski or something along those lines. No bipod, just a sling to keep things light and simple.

Remington 600 Stutzen-stocked Mohawk:

Attachment 22128Attachment 22129Attachment 22130

Job done if you can locate an after-market steel trigger guard & floorplate, are willing to 'play' with the bedding and barrel to stock fixing detail.

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post

Job done if you can locate an after-market steel trigger guard & floorplate, are willing to 'play' with the bedding and barrel to stock fixing detail.

Cheers

K
    I had a client at hinds with one of these [243] years ago, can't remeber the plastic trigger gaurd, is that on newer models? I would imagine that it would be nice in 222.

Nice little rifles and can certainly see the merit of one myself. You might if you are lucky find an old Mannlicher in 222 - I think they made them, but there are also a good number still around in the 6.5x54 - accurate and light recoil and with lighter bullets, enough velocity to be deer legal. I have shot these, albeit not in anger at live quarry - very nice shooting and very nice to carry.

The CZ is a nice little rifle and now that they make them left handed might even go for one myself sometime. 6x42 scope may even be too big - ideal would be the old Zeiss 3-9x36.

In his book "Accurate Rifles" Craig Boddington recounts how he got his fullstock manllicher to really shoot well by putting positive upward pressure between the stock and barrel about halway along the barrel, by simply putting a couple of business cards under the barrel.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 04-12-2012 at 14:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post

Cheers

K
    Is this particular rifle for sale ?