Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a deer park!

Starting a deer park!

was just wondering if someone was thinking about setting up a small deer park, how much would it cost to set up, what would it cost to buy in fallow buck/does or any other species? also how many could be kept per hectare? just something that intrigued me!

250/300 for a hind/doe that has been through the rut should do it, if your not looking for the best of breed. Reds might be best to start with cos they are so tame and the biggest cost is fencing. 100m of fencing is around 200 with the posts and gates and labour on top.

good question. i would be interested in the response. not in a position to even contemplate this but is something that would exersise my brain!!
    Big bloke... but outta shape

i knew fencing would be a big cost but i could do that myself. its just interesting as at the moment we have alpacas as mum's pets and deer seem an alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by gez.308 View Post
    i knew fencing would be a big cost but i could do that myself. its just interesting as at the moment we have alpacas as mum's pets and deer seem an alternative!
    It would be worth doing it, just for the satisfaction of shooting the alpacas first!

Gez, are you really that desperate that you feel you need to fence them in just to stand a chance of hitting one!!!! Why don't you just start stalking the alpacas or hell, how about one of the dairy cows......just a thought!

i didn't miss any with you andy! just an interest thought!

Actually very true, still waiting to see a nice photo of your first roe buck mount.......need to start another thread me thinks!

was just wondering if someone was thinking about setting up a small deer park, how much would it cost to set up, what would it cost to buy in fallow buck/does or any other species? also how many could be kept per hectare? just something that intrigued me!
    Hi Gez,

The setup costs can vary enormously, as can the cost of fencing. Although a roll of deer netting is around 230, it very much depends on the type of ground to be fenced, how many corners/turns. For instance 1000 metres of fencing on good agricultural land will cost a lot less than 1000 metres on boggy, steep or rocky ground. Also the type of grassland is of vital importance. On good grassland, you could stock 4-5 fallow/acre - sometimes more - but on marginal ground, the stocking rate would have to be much less.

It also depends on the type of genetics you wish to start with. There are some absolute rubbish Fallow and Reds around, alternatively there are some outstanding genetics available. If you are gong to start a park, start with the very best genetics that you can. That way you'll always have good genetics. For Fallow, I wouldn't look anywhere else but Houghton Hall Estate in Norfolk, and for Reds you'd need to look somewhere like Woburn, Rowler, Warnham or Gunton Parks.

If you are serious about setting up, then Jelen Deer Farm & Parks Ltd. can help with any feasibility studies you wish to carry out.

Please get in touch with me if you need any further information.

Best regards,

Mike.
    (Director - Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer

Stick with the Alpaca`s My mates got 4 and he charges "jo public" 25 an hour to walk them round his farm, 1 a bag for some grub, plus the other gains he makes from manure and wool.

People book in advance with him, for their 25 they get, a 20min talk about Alpaca`s, a 20 mins touchy feely intro to the animals, and 20 mins walking round the farm

Most weekends through the summer he makes over a Grand ( 1000 ) pays for his shooting ,stalking , fishing

Bob