Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh. Another really hungry mouth to feed??

Uh-oh. Another really hungry mouth to feed??

Lordy. I made the mistake of going to the Trading Post with a buddy tonight and the manager dropped a Savage 110 in 338 Lapua under my nose with an almost irresistible price quoted. Detachable box mag, 20MOA rail, rings..... "Shoot it!" he said. "If you don't like it, bring it back! I'll give you some ammo to try it with!"

Hell. I'm too cheap to feed that beast. Even PPU is $50 US for 20 rounds, then there's dies and bullets and huge, gulping quantities of powder at each loading session. And what about a scope?? I ran to my car and locked the doors.

Now, much later, I'm in withdrawl......~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 05-12-2012 at 05:19.

That guy that builds can's (moderators for the euro's) outta our shop bought a Savage 111LRH in 338 Lapua back during the summer . Got it NIB and a Vortex 6-24x50mm with a 30 mm tube .

He asked me to work up a load for him using the Hornady 225 SST which isn't exactly the bullet designed for the gun , but anyway I got several 3 shot groups at 100 yards that were about 1/2" . At 200 yards I was geting groups about 1 1/2" and at 350 yards I got a group that was about 2" . All of these were for 3 shots / Woulda tried it further but our club only has a 350 yard range .

I started loading for it with once fired from this box of Hornady factory and another 20 pieces of new Hornady brass . Do not waste your time with the Hornady brass as it didn't extract well in this rifle and after talking with several other fellows that load for the Savage rifle in 338 Lapua they told me they had the same extraction problems and when they got Lapua brass the problem went away !

So we got 50 pieces of Lapua brass from Bruno's and that problem was solved .

One of what I thought was a decent group with the rifle .

At the range the first day I shot it !

The break on the muzzle of the beast . In all actuality it kicks no more then my Ruger #1B in 338 WIN MAG .

My own personal opinion on the 338 Lapua is based on this rifle , my Ruger in 338 WIN MAG and a friends Remington 700 BDL in 338 Ultra Mag .

The 338 WIN MAG is what it is and I like it alot , but it's a shade below the other two . To me the 338 Lapua and the 338 Ultra are about the same . I do however think the 338-378 Weatherby might be a step ahead of the Lapua and Ultra .

But then it ain't about need or whats better always . More then likely in this day and time it's all about what a person likes !

Just be prepared for about 80 loads to a pound of powder . And Lapua brass sticking you about $2.50 a stick .

A very good friend of mine picked up a 110 BA a while back. He topped it off with a Hensoldt ( he still wont tell me what he payed for the whole package, a bad sign ha ha ) As I said, he is a good friend at lets me shoot it as much as I like. It is an extremely accurate rifle, but it is a big rig.
    I hate to see a man suffer muir, I think you owe it to yourself,buy it.

Signed The Enabler, AB

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    A very good friend of mine picked up a 110 BA a while back. He topped it off with a Hensoldt ( he still wont tell me what he payed for the whole package, a bad sign ha ha ) As I said, he is a good friend at lets me shoot it as much as I like. It is an extremely accurate rifle, but it is a big rig.
    I hate to see a man suffer muir, I think you owe it to yourself,buy it.

Signed The Enabler, AB
    The one I posted pics of above was about $2100 dealer cost for the rifle , scope and mounts .

LOL! Trouble indeed. Too bad 25-20 isn't more popular; it measures out at .344" at the head. It'd be pretty straight forward to swage down to .338 (after turning the rim off, making the case a nice boat tail), fill with lead, and knock the crap out of stuff at a few hundred yards....on the cheap.

Just thinking out loud here...

What were these things origonally designed for? Sniper round or big game?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    sniper round
    smaller than 50 cal but long enough range to be effective and supersonic

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Mungo, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Harrison_(sniper)

I think that should explain what it was designed for. They have tried all sorts of rounds, from .50" cal, Chaytac .408" and various others, but the snipers do seem to like the .338LM.

Simon

PS; Muir, go on.............. you know you want to really ;-)
    Last edited by flytie; 06-12-2012 at 11:12. Reason: Baiting

Thanks for that - fascinating. Astonishing to be able to hit anything at that range, let alone a 6' person.

Presumably they would make a horrible mess if used on game at relatively short range?