Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbolt barrel chop

Xbolt barrel chop

Hello all Iam considering taking 1 inch off the end of my xbolt 308, does anyone know if this will cause any problems with power etc ?

Thanks

Shouldn't make any noticeable difference at all, but it depends what length you're starting with? If its standard length and you're going to chop 1" off you may as well take a few more while you're at it!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

+1 tjw

Costs are the same, might aswell get a few inches off for your money.

Balance it up with a nice Jet Z and perecto
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

How much can I chop off without a problem ? With accuracy and power ?
    Last edited by Hulse; 05-12-2012 at 16:47.

Accuracy should never be affected by a barrel chop when conducted by a competent rifle smith.

With the .308 expect to lose 25fps per inch. It is one of the calibres that deals with shorter barrels very well.

How short you go may depend on the mod you run. Make sure that if an over barrel design it clears the forend!

If my T3 varmint didn't already have a 20" barrel and had started life at 24" I would make the hassle worth my whole and go down to 18".

I run a 7-08 at 19" and have had no adverse results because of it. Quite capable of taking quarry out to any distance I am comfortable with. That's without the need to dial my dope
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

At present it has a 19 inch barrel I believe and will be fitting a ase North Star to it ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulse View Post
    Hello all Iam considering taking 1 inch off the end of my xbolt 308, does anyone know if this will cause any problems with power etc ?

Thanks
    I have an xbolt in 30-06, just wondering why you want to do this?
    Cheers
    Richard

19" sounds too short for a factory barrel that hasn't already been chopped. After a quick google factory offerings start at 22".

I would measure your barrel yourself to be sure. If it is 19" leave it. If 22" I would take it down to 18".

You should have no issue with the North Star. It's a compact mod.

What ammunition do you use? If you reload you may be able to speed things up a little to create your current velocities.

Standard ammo used, I fancy it at 18 as I want to screw cut changed on it for my mod,

Ive had all my rifles chopped and out on the range or deer stalking the accuracy has not been affected.

Mine feel much better balanced with the mods on and less cumbersum woodland stalking or carrying them long distances hill stalking

Go for it mate
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...