Xbolt barrel chop

Hulse

Hello all Iam considering taking 1 inch off the end of my xbolt 308, does anyone know if this will cause any problems with power etc ?

Thanks

Shouldn't make any noticeable difference at all, but it depends what length you're starting with? If its standard length and you're going to chop 1" off you may as well take a few more while you're at it!

How much can I chop off without a problem ? With accuracy and power ?

Last edited:
Accuracy should never be affected by a barrel chop when conducted by a competent rifle smith.

With the .308 expect to lose 25fps per inch. It is one of the calibres that deals with shorter barrels very well.

How short you go may depend on the mod you run. Make sure that if an over barrel design it clears the forend!

If my T3 varmint didn't already have a 20" barrel and had started life at 24" I would make the hassle worth my whole and go down to 18".

I run a 7-08 at 19" and have had no adverse results because of it. Quite capable of taking quarry out to any distance I am comfortable with. That's without the need to dial my dope :stir:

At present it has a 19 inch barrel I believe and will be fitting a ase North Star to it ?

Thanks

19" sounds too short for a factory barrel that hasn't already been chopped. After a quick google factory offerings start at 22".

I would measure your barrel yourself to be sure. If it is 19" leave it. If 22" I would take it down to 18".

You should have no issue with the North Star. It's a compact mod.

What ammunition do you use? If you reload you may be able to speed things up a little to create your current velocities.

Standard ammo used, I fancy it at 18 as I want to screw cut changed on it for my mod,

Ive had all my rifles chopped and out on the range or deer stalking the accuracy has not been affected.

Mine feel much better balanced with the mods on and less cumbersum woodland stalking or carrying them long distances hill stalking

100_1611.jpg

Go for it mate

Ive had all my rifles chopped and out on the range or deer stalking the accuracy has not been affected.

Mine feel much better balanced with the mods on and less cumbersum woodland stalking or carrying them long distances hill stalking

100_1611.jpg

Go for it mate

great I just arranged for it to be chopped to 18inch and thread cut again. £60 does not seem to bad.

Nice rifles in the picture too

Hello Hulse, a friend of mine cut his .308 down to 16" put on a thumbhole stock and Ace Ultra (S5?). It shoots very very using 130gr SP's and has taken many Red and Fallow. A very handy rifle.
The only other thing I would comment on is the moderator, the Northstar. There's nothing wrong with it as I have one on my 7mm-08 and am very satisfied with it, stainless, rugged and quiet but . . . I've also just bought a Hardy Gen IV for another rifle (6.5x55) and it's excellent. Very light over-barrel mod with an integrated muzzle brake which is as least as quiet as the Northstar. It's so light it almost brings back that nice feel of an un-moderated rifle! Just a thought . . .

Hello Hulse, a friend of mine cut his .308 down to 16" put on a thumbhole stock and Ace Ultra (S5?). It shoots very very using 130gr SP's and has taken many Red and Fallow. A very handy rifle.
The only other thing I would comment on is the moderator, the Northstar. There's nothing wrong with it as I have one on my 7mm-08 and am very satisfied with it, stainless, rugged and quiet but . . . I've also just bought a Hardy Gen IV for another rifle (6.5x55) and it's excellent. Very light over-barrel mod with an integrated muzzle brake which is as least as quiet as the Northstar. It's so light it almost brings back that nice feel of an un-moderated rifle! Just a thought . . .

thanks for the advice but I already have the North Star. But I am looking for a mod for my 243 so will keep them in mind

Back