A few introductions

Hi

Been wandering around the farm with a gun of some sort or another since I could walk. I think I'm now 41 but it's open to some debate.

Now live on wonderful Skye selling outdoor kit from home...not a bad life.

Sold my rifles (.22lr, .223 & .308) a few years ago to buy a camera. Missing it too much and am just about to take the plunge again.

Just got a new lab pup so will hopefully be training her for deer.

Nice place you've got here!

Drew

Three score years and ten plus a few more than I care to think about. A lifetime in the professional side of the Agricultural Industry. Have had, and still have a FAC since 1952. At 15 I was in the school shooting second eight. In those days we used to shoot short barrelled Lee Enfields, Morris tubed for .22 on the 25 yd indoor range and long barrelled Lee Enfields on the open range, 200 yards and 500 yards. 2 sighters and 5 to count. Bull, Inner. Maqgpie and outer. In those days a friend (in the 1st. Eight) and myself, in the summer terms, used to go down to the school armoury and collect our rifles (with what we called "sniper slings") on our bikes, sling them over our shoulders. Put 30 or 40 rounds of .303 ammunition in our saddlebags with a spotting scope and our range score books, and cycle down through the town and out for about three miles to the range. Just a small one, three targets at 200 and 500 yards. It is now under a motorway! We used to get the old boy from the armoury to operate the targets for us some days otherwise we would shoot a target then walk down and patch ourselves. Afterwards, cycle back through the town to clean our rifles and deposite them back in the armoury. The sight on mine was a Parker Hale No 5b aperture block sight; my friend's a mk:4 aperture leaf sight. It had a knurled screw on the top of the leaf. After a shoot he had a bruise and lump ovr his right eye. A glutten for punishment. We shot without rests and after shooting a target prone, one would be several feet back. Recoil on a wee lad!!
Those were the days. You can see a fifteen y.o. cycling through a Middle England town now days with a .303 rifle slung over his shoulder and a saddlebag full of enough ammunition to start a war. We learnt responsibility in those days. No supervision was needed. What has happened???

Blimey, just goes to show.
I thought we were brave riding our bikes no hands with a 12" float rod under one arm and a box of maggots in the other hand on our way to the river!

Gidday boys and girls,

Just been invited over for a look see. Its me your friendly neighbourhood Smeagle. For those who don't know me I look forward to making your acquaintance.

Regards Graham

Me

40 years young, shooting all sorts since I was a kid, spent a bit in the Army, living in Monmouthshire. Deer stalking for 4 years on paid trips to Scotland and any other bits my good friends see fit to invite me to!
I currently work as a sales manager in the motor industry.

Smeagle said:
Gidday boys and girls,

Just been invited over for a look see. Its me your friendly neighbourhood Smeagle. For those who don't know me I look forward to making your acquaintance.

Regards Graham

Argh!!! He found us!

G,dday Smeags, yet another forum to feast our eyes upon, divorce is iminent. Hope you are well. :confused:

Caleiderscope (Was Kaleiderscope but site didnt like it) AKA James Clark, or is it the other way round. :lol:

Been around for a bit, shooting for some 20 years or so now. Into my Stalking as some will know, just love being out there. Stalk mostly in Scotland but in the South also.

Another good site to play on and share an info.

Rgds

Cal

Introductions

Hi Everyone,
Should perhaps done this a while back. I am 63, living in South Oxfordshire (for 900 odd years previously was Berkshire). have been shooting since a teenager.
Stalking for 20 years and have a .22 for small vermin, .243, two 6.5x55 and a couple of Lee Enfields. I do a bit of competition shooting at Bisley with all these rifles.
I shoot Roe and Muntjac and any foxes that come my way.
I re-load for the deer rifles and have been doing so for about 15 years.
.303 amunition is cheap at the moment and not economic to re-load.

I am 67 years old and a retired law enforcement officer. I received my first rifle when I was 8 years old and have been shooting ever since. Still have a question in my mind about stalking vs. still hunting. I do a lot of still hunting which is moving as quietly through the woods and spotting the deer before it sees or smells you. Hunting here in Wisconsin, I prefer the timber to sitting on open fields or marshes. I hunt with single shot rifles mostly, at times will use a light lever action carbine in 44 mag.

popplecop said:
I am 67 years old and a retired law enforcement officer. I received my first rifle when I was 8 years old and have been shooting ever since. Still have a question in my mind about stalking vs. still hunting. I do a lot of still hunting which is moving as quietly through the woods and spotting the deer before it sees or smells you. Hunting here in Wisconsin, I prefer the timber to sitting on open fields or marshes. I hunt with single shot rifles mostly, at times will use a light lever action carbine in 44 mag.

That's the most popular way of stalking here.

A few introductins

Greetings! My name is Steve, my log in name is inspired by my rifle a 6.5x55 Carl Gustaf that is the most excellent firearm I have used in my twenty five years of shooting.
I'm a ex Royal Navy Gunner and have never got used to civvy street, so the great outdoors and hunting has been my salvation.

Likes:- friendly helpful stalking comrades who truly love and respect deer and will do the full 'from shot to pot' style of deer management and actively encourage the public to understand our passion.

Dislikes:-greedy stalkers ripping off the next generation of keen stalkers and taking up all the deer grounds and shooting out the best heads. These people can only compound the deer population problem we are experiencing. 'Fumet sucking facists'! :evil: :evil: :evil:

(steps off soap box, takes the pink pills and retires to the dark musty smelling room) :eek: :confused: :eek: :(

Steve as an ex gunner I'd have thought you would have cracked some red death, smelled some recently shot cases and then take the pink pills the next morning
cheers

Diclie

Nah Dickie, a salvo of CSB's, a cheesey hammy eggy for 9 oclockers and back into the dark room to read Janes fighting aircraft! ;) ;) :D

I've noticed that there are quite a few new members on the site of late. Would anyone like to introduce themselves? Don't be shy, just imagine yourself in a virtual reality 'Gentlemans Club', the walls are full of trophy heads and hunting spears and we are all sat in comfortable old leather club chairs sipping our 'chotta pegs' whilst warming are feet on the Tiger skin rug infront of a roaring fire.

Its also nice to see some of the old campaigners back in the fold, where have you all been?

'Welcome fellow hunters'

Thanks very much for the warm welcome. Been a member now for a couple of months and enjoy the site. Some good stuff.

Back