Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: .243 V's .243 Ackley Improved

.243 V's .243 Ackley Improved

As some of you might know from a different post, I am having my .243 re-barreled.

I don’t know whether to stick with the straight .243 or go for the slightly more exciting but more hassle .243AI…?

Having done some reading up on it, there seems to be various theories floating about as to which one causes more throat erosion and barrel wear.

Interested to hear members thoughts.

Best,

Miles

JCS may well be the man to talk to, he has a wealth of information on the AI

hi miles sold my 243 ackley two months wish i hadnt especially after last nights foxing session .
    ben c has just has his done hes a keeper and i dont think hell be changing for a while
    go for it regards pete .

try this http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html
    Ive had one for over 10 years,wouldnt change it for anything,with a 70 to 80gr bullet theres nothing to beat them in a varminting rig

stick a barrel with an extra inch on your .243 and you have the same speed as the AI. the AI as far as I've researched is a royal pain in the backside to load and manage brass for unless you know exactly what you're doing, and you cannot buy any factory ammo if you ever need. as far as my resesearch goes, AI looks sexy and all that, but it's not worth it unless you're competing..just my thoughts hence I never bothered to make the move, and I'm really pleased about it in hindsight (to have stuck with standard .243 case).

I think a lot will depend on your approach to the reamer and setup used.

The downside to match grade chambering tolerences in a rfle to be used in the field is that things can, quite literally, get a bit sticky when it comes to chambering the follow-up round. Full length resizing will help but that doesn’t guarantee a bolt lift as slick as a lizard’s tongue if, as I suspect will be the case, you will be turning and bush sizeing necks to match the tight tolerance of a custom chamber.

Just a thought.

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    stick a barrel with an extra inch on your .243 and you have the same speed as the AI. the AI as far as I've researched is a royal pain in the backside to load and manage brass for unless you know exactly what you're doing, and you cannot buy any factory ammo if you ever need. as far as my resesearch goes, AI looks sexy and all that, but it's not worth it unless you're competing..just my thoughts hence I never bothered to make the move, and I'm really pleased about it in hindsight (to have stuck with standard .243 case).
    dont knock it untill youve tried it mate,and yes you can use factory ammo in an Ai provided your not tight necked,as far to reloading therea doddle just like any other caliber,as to adding an extra inch to a std 243 that will still not get near the velocity you can obtain with a well loaded AI

sorry, I just don't get it, what do you obtain, another 50,60, maybe 70 fps? just load your .243 win a bit hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    sorry, I just don't get it, what do you obtain, another 50,60, maybe 70 fps? just load your .243 win a bit hotter.
    try about 200 to 300 mate,you obvioulsy havnt read the link Ive posted showing load data

If you are going to have rifle custom chambered why not go that extra mile and design (I use the word advisedly) your own wildcat??

I did!
    Attachment 22211
    Cheers

K