A Bit Naughty

Gazza

Yesterday was speaking to a local farmer (an older gentleman) who has two farms. His FAC was up for renewal and he had submitted his forms. Whilst at the farm away from his home farm he got a call from the FEO re a home visit. He explained that he was away from home and asked about arranging a suitable appointment. FEO asks about calling up now to examine gunsafe and firearm, suggesting that the farmers wife would know where he kept the keys for the safe. Farmer replied that his wife did not know where his safe keys were. A home visit was arranged and the farmer had pulled the FEO up on his question. "Only testing" was the reply.
Not the first time I have heard of similar tactics.

Certainly heard of that before. My current wife is well schooled in the response, I am sorry but my husband is away and I have no access to his cabinets nor any knowledge of where he might keep his keys. I am sure that many of you have the same set up, but I bought an electronic safe with a combination lock and all my keys go in that. So I don't have to worry about hiding keys anywhere. That way there's no point anyone hunting around for them

C

Happened to me when I applied for mine, they asked the same question.

Two things I was told to when applying.

1) Don't have the mrs in the house.

2) Expect a phone call any time. 22:45 I received mine.

A while back my mate was undergoing his home interview at home. The inspector asked his wife how do you feel about fire arms in the house. She replied "I don't want them in the house like I have already told him"
Needless to say he was out of the door within 5 minutes and not issuing a licence.

My current wife is well schooled in the response, I am sorry but my husband is away and I have no access to his cabinets nor any knowledge of where he might keep his keys.C

why? she shouldn't know if the keys whereabouts anyway..just having her state she does not know where they are means she 'does', that's not really on either...I for one wouldn't admit to that on the forum which is reportedly spied on by the cops anyhow!....
:-|
as for 'current' wife,,,did the old one pull the trick Weeman refers to? LOL:doh::lol:

You're missing the point. She DOESN'T know where the keys are. The idea is that instead of saying, well I don't know but I 'll have a good root around if you like, I have told her that if asked the truthful answer is, I don't know. As she doesn't read this forum, she's unlikely to see that they are in the safe. Open forum or not, I haven't said anything out of turn. My Missus has no access nor knowledge of the whereabouts of my keys and I have instructed her to say so. In any case saying whatever she says, she has no access to the keys and that as far as I am concerned rules out any likely charge from the Police. Knowing where they are but not being able to get them is what I'd still consider to be secure, no?

As long as she wants to remain my current wife of course.

Chris

Last edited:
I am sorry but comments like that from the FLO would receive a swift phone call to the Firearm's manager.

I believe that is referred to as entrapment:

"When a police officer induces a person to commit an offence that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit"

I don't see why a wife shouldn't know where the keys are.
If you're in the sort of relationship where you have to keep secrets from one another, then it's probably time to end it.

The rules just say "prevent access by unauthorised people". Doesn't give a definition of what is "unauthorised".
If I'm outside I can come to the door and authorise my wife to fetch a gun from the cabinet for me, to save me taking my wellies off etc and walking through the house.
This doesn't mean she has access to the keys - they might be in my pocket.
My wife has a SGC and I have both SGC & FAC. Our guns are stored in same cabinet (although my rifle bolt and ammunition are stored elsewhere), and this hasn't caused any raised eyebrows.

authorised means having an FAC, so in theory she should not have access to your rifles unless like you say she as access to the same cabinet. my undestanding was you needed trigger locks to have joint access, not just bolt/ammo storage separately, but I'm not 100% sure of this rule..

However, if she does not have access to your bolt and ammo, having her come to the door to hand you a rifle wouldn't be much use, unless she also had access to those items, which, you cannot legally give her access to by 'authorising' her. I wouldn't want to have an officer randomly coming down the driveway seeing that happen, unlikely as it may be.

Yes, I think that authorised means authorised access to them from secure storage. Not passing them to her whilst in your presence. If you have shared security then firearms must either be on both tickets or otherwise secured in some way to segregate them or at least critical component parts such as your bolt.

This isn't about keeping secrets. That's rather naive. This is about the law, not where I keep my stash of Nuts magazine. Some things are set down in statute, like not driving a car that you aren't insured for. Well, access to firearms happens to be one of those too. I think that the definition of authorised is very clear.

Chris

My wife was asked that very question and said she did know were they are. He has them with him was her answer she made him a cuppa and waited for me to come in. I laughed when she told me and told him i did not have the keys to her purse.

Yesterday was speaking to a local farmer (an older gentleman) who has two farms. His FAC was up for renewal and he had submitted his forms. Whilst at the farm away from his home farm he got a call from the FEO re a home visit. He explained that he was away from home and asked about arranging a suitable appointment. FEO asks about calling up now to examine gunsafe and firearm, suggesting that the farmers wife would know where he kept the keys for the safe. Farmer replied that his wife did not know where his safe keys were. A home visit was arranged and the farmer had pulled the FEO up on his question. "Only testing" was the reply.
Not the first time I have heard of similar tactics.

from memory of the law,
A feo has no rights to enter your home and inspect your firearms or firearms cupboard, without you present.
correct me if i am wrong

Then the Police come. It's in their hands then. The property belongs to the estate managed by the Executor, but the firearms must go into the possession of someone else 'authorised' such as an RFD. This is not uncommon of course and the mechanisms well established. I don't know how smoothly and fairly it goes as I have never had to deal with it directly. But know people who have. I do have let's say quite a few, worth quite a bit and I should hate my Missus to be cheated out of any of their value. But short of her getting an FAC and shared rights.....
My lad has had a SGC since he was nine and is nearly 18 now. I would like to get him an FAC at some point and share them. It would make that situation slightly easier should I pop off whilst resting against a wall with one across my knee in the sunshine. Just my luck and some monster would come hoofing out of the trees just as I draw my last.

No, I am a bit rusty there too, but I'd guess that accompanied by a serving Police Officer with a warrant.....
But no, FLO has no right of entry if I recall. I always understood that they only had the 'right' to inspect security at the point of granting but not at renewal.
I did have one ask once and I asked under what authority did he want to inspect my security? He said 'Under the authority of do you want your ticket signing or not' It's about having the nuts to challenge sometimes and that means knowing your rights inside out.

I have only had to fight once or twice in all these years. The section one SG was the worst. I really struggled to get a condition put on there. I had to point out that the general condition was 'The firearms and ammunition to which this cert relates may only be used ..... etc' They replied that it was only a shotgun. No it isn't I said, it's a section one firearm. And I can't use it unless you give me a clause for it's use. I ended up with practical shotgun, vermin, artificial targets (clays for practice you understand) ground game and something else.

You do have to wonder sometimes.

C

Some have been truly excellent in the past but some have been a real PITA.

However, if she does not have access to your bolt and ammo, having her come to the door to hand you a rifle wouldn't be much use, unless she also had access to those items, which, you cannot legally give her access to by 'authorising' her. I wouldn't want to have an officer randomly coming down the driveway seeing that happen, unlikely as it may be.

Well I'm hardly likely to ask her to fetch me the rifle without the bolt and ammo, am I?
She only has access when I "authorise" her by handing over the keys. She can't access her own guns either, unless I hand over the keys so she can get one from the cabinet.
Yesterday an officer did randomly come up the driveway (spot check), and, although he didn't actually see that happen I did fully explain the way we work things, and told him that was a scenario quite likely to occur, and that having the shared storage was very convenient in that respect, and he agreed that that was quite sensible. He didn't have any problem with me authorising her to fetch my rifle from the cabimet for me, because it's quite ok for her to handle the gun under my supervision, and provided I'm in verbal and / or visual contact that counts as supervision.

My point was, in fact if nobody knows where the keys are how does anybody access the firearms if the fac holder dies

Back