Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentle warning to all stalkers,

Gentle warning to all stalkers,

Hi everyone,

I would under the current weather conditions alert stalkers to some of the other things that we need to be aware of.

Mainly streams and rivers,

Following a weeks stalking i have shot two roe that caused me concern.

The first ran 30 yards and stopped dead 3 meters from the river bank, opposite site to me.
    Remember that shot location is not all about placement. So many keep going on about where to put the round rather than think about what happens next. I had to figure out a way to retrieve the beast. The river was swollen to two three times its normal state. I had to walk 1km down stream to a bridge but i know that some would have given it a go and crossed the swollen water. That's a bad idea lads don't do it

Think about access, think about extraction and finally think safety.

The second fell down a ravine and ended up in the river.

Fortunately for me the frost had been here for the few days so the water was lower than normal, yes i should have know better from the earlier shot but again she rolled down the bank and before i knew it i was in the stream recovering her.

Now following today's snow and rain i dread tomorrows situation wet wet wet.

Think safe, Be safe

p,
    Last edited by psstalking; 06-12-2012 at 20:00. Reason: additional information

agree - wise words indeed - personally i'd always make Safety First

Quote Originally Posted by psstalking View Post
    Hi everyone,

I would under the current weather conditions alert stalkers to some of the other things that we need to be aware of.

Mainly streams and rivers,

Following a weeks stalking i have shot two roe that caused me concern.

The first ran 30 yards and stopped dead 3 meters from the river bank, opposite site to me.
    Remember that shot location is not all about placement. So many keep going on about where to put the round rather than think about what happens next. I had to figure out a way to retrieve the beast. The river was swollen to two three times its normal state. I had to walk 1km down stream to a bridge but i know that some would have given it a go and crossed the swollen water. That's a bad idea lads don't do it

Think about access, think about extraction and finally think safety.

The second fell down a ravine and ended up in the river.

Fortunately for me the frost had been here for the few days so the water was lower than normal, yes i should have know better from the earlier shot but again she rolled down the bank and before i knew it i was in the stream recovering her.

Now following today's snow and rain i dread tomorrows situation wet wet wet.

Think safe, Be safe

p,
    WARNING WARNING Level 2 stalker alert!!

Quote Originally Posted by 22wiz View Post
    Sounds like two shots NOT to take whether you have your certificates or not.
    Engage brain before tweaking the trigger !

HWH.

Made me chuckle. Think about access, think about extraction and finally think safety first. Wise words and good advice indeed, so why shoot a deer on the other side of a swollen river and then one on the face of a ravine that falls downwards (as all things do) into another river.

I sat for all of 15 minutes once with the rifle up on a bipod looking at the biggest sika stag I had seen up until then (he really was huge), 150m away across a valley. I kept looking at the beast, then down the river at the bottom which ran the 2 miles back to the car.....

Very good sound advice and I think your points should be included in the DSC 1

Pretty much common sense really, but i am talking from the side of being a fly fishing guide, i have total respect for rivers and lost a lot of bookings this year because i aired on the side of caution, even when at times i was pressured by my client to take them wading.

On a side note, my friend shot a large hind once, used the river to his advantage and floated it out!

Cheers

Richard

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22wiz View Post

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...d.php/52971-hi

Fantastic way to set out on this forum:

I can see you not being here to long with comments like this, the fundamentals are there for all to see read and digest. the order they are laid out may have to be changed to make easier reading but other than that sometimes you need a poke in the eye to remind you of some basics in life not just shooting/hunting.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube