Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new (second hand) Ruger M77 MKII 243

My new (second hand) Ruger M77 MKII 243

Finally brought the rifle home, now safely tucked away in the cabinet with the bolt in the safe
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger M77 MKII 243 without mod.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	22222 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger M77 MKII 243 with mod.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	22223

Work has been done on the trigger to take it down to about a 2lb pull and it has a Tasco 8 x 52 scope fitted currently.
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/

I had one of these in .22-250 and it shot great , good safety and well made . No bells or whistles but killed foxes bloody well . Just swapped it for a steyr in 243 , goes well with the .308 !

I had one aswell in .243 a few years ago, my first rifle. The trigger was the only issue i had with it, even after adjustment i wish id just changed it out. Never liked the pull on it even at 2 1/2lbs. Hope you have great sucess using it.

ATB wallace

Quote Originally Posted by wallace grant View Post
    I had one aswell in .243 a few years ago, my first rifle. The trigger was the only issue i had with it, even after adjustment i wish id just changed it out. Never liked the pull on it even at 2 1/2lbs. Hope you have great sucess using it.

ATB wallace
    I have already tried it on the range with my RFD and I like the trigger, he's done a top job adjusting it and it is crisp and clean with no creep at all.

Now I can't wait to pop and pick up some Federals (RFD reccomended) and get zeroing on paper

I bought one of these a while back. I think they are good rifles if you don't mind doing a bit of work to them. They can also be a bit fussy on ammo. I do a bit of my own smithing so I swapped the factory trigger for a timney one and Iv'e free floated the barrel also. Mine shot 2 to 3 inch groups with federal and these shot the tightest out of 3 brands in 100grain I tried. Handloading I got it to 1 1/2. Will be trying some 85 gr Sierra HPs soon. Good enough for the woodland roe that I am using it for.

Quote Originally Posted by adjman View Post
    I have already tried it on the range with my RFD and I like the trigger, he's done a top job adjusting it and it is crisp and clean with no creep at all.

Now I can't wait to pop and pick up some Federals (RFD reccomended) and get zeroing on paper

your pretty close to me , who is your rfd ?

Congratulations Adam.

I had one of these in 7x57 about .... A long time ago. I fitted a Timney trigger , which was a huge improvement, and it shot great with hand loads using 120 NBTs. I used it on Reds, Roe, and Foxes if they showed up.

Basic and very rugged, I enjoyed it a lot and it turned me on to the calibre.

Good fortune with yours.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by adjman View Post
    Finally brought the rifle home, now safely tucked away in the cabinet with the bolt in the safe
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger M77 MKII 243 without mod.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	22222 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger M77 MKII 243 with mod.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	22223

Work has been done on the trigger to take it down to about a 2lb pull and it has a Tasco 8 x 52 scope fitted currently.
    nice, simple, classic looking rifle. I like it.

Good looking bit of kit, I hope it serves you well. Now get out and enjoy it.

nutty