Thread: What a bloody mess

What a bloody mess

I have been beating for the last 12 years. I thought 3 years ago I would buy a pup and train it up. Got this wee cocker spaniel and trained her up nice. Cracker of a wee dog for hunting and picking. As she was from Scotland she was not docked. (Folk can see where this is going already). Had no problem with her tail at all until this year. The first shoot day this year I shaved her and she was looking smart as hell and had recover well after having a litter of pups earlier on in the year. Half way through one of the drive I notice she was not her self and started to hang back on the cover. Not like her at all. Usually it's head first and the rest follows. Got her home and dryed off. Soon there was blood pissing out of the end of her tail. Blood all up her sides, on walls and doors. What a mess she was in. Everything she moved she started yelping in pain.
    This is the problem of not getting spaniels docked. I love working my dog and all she wants to do is please me and work. Feel like we have let spaniels down because there are not getting docked and hurting them selfs. The person that made up this law should come out of their warm office and see what it does to these dogs. We would not have shooting if it was not for our dogs. What a difference they make. The dogs are working so hard for us. They are the best tool for the job and if you don't look after you tools its a half ass job at the end off the day.
    We still cut lambs and piglets tails of at birth why not dogs.
    Tilly wend to the vet and got half her tail off but guess what she smashed it on her bed cause clockers can't keep still. The end went dead. So she went back and got more cut off. It's healing we'll stitches get cut out the day.
    This stress of getting knocked out twice is unreal. She is not the dog she was. This all could have been sorted at birth. Nip and that's it. No blood no stress no pain.
    Tilly would be out working this season. I am not ****ing my dog for a bit of sport.
    I have been on a few shoot now and she is fairly missed. A lot of areas not hunted and lost birds because the other dogs were not up to scatch.

Firstly really sorry to hear about your dog. That's pretty bad all round. But secondly, and please forgive me if this is a stupid point, I am no expert in this which is why I am asking, I thought that working dogs could still be docked. I am sure someone will put me straight. I do know some vets wiil do it and some won't but is it actually illegal now to dock any dog? I see the bit about Scotland from which I take it that the law is different up North?

Chris

sorry to hear that, I hope your pup's not in too much pain and recovers swiftly and get's its spirit back in no time.

I guess there's now a market for a dog-tail-protector type of sleeve for working un-docked dogs....let's not call it a tail-condom! LOL...any takers?

The law in Scotland is no dog can be dock. Until it has been reported to be damage 3 times to a vet. If the pups are born in england or Wales they can be docked by a vet not long after birth. The vet give you a certificate to show is was done in the law. So pups from Scotland cans go down south to be docked.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    sorry to hear that, I hope your pup's not in too much pain and recovers swiftly and get's its spirit back in no time.

I guess there's now a market for a dog-tail-protector type of sleeve for working un-docked dogs....let's not call it a tail-condom! LOL...any takers?
    Very Gd I like that.
    In trails if the dog has its full tail it will be marked down for not having any style.
    The law won't be changed cause know one will admit they are wrong

Thanks Alan. I didn't know that but then I don't really move in 'dog circles' as it were.

I am sure this has been said a thousand time already, but how stupid is that?
    C

Really sorry to hear about Tilley's problems. I've got a Cocker myself and know how difficult it is to keep them 'quiet' post op. If you've got any pictures of the damage make sure you hang on to them as evidence. Sensible folk periodically try and get this ridiculous law overturned, so it may help at some time in the future. Responsibility for the pain and distress suffered by your dog rests firmly with all the animal 'welfare' fascists who campaigned for the docking ban. Undoubtedly they would go all swivel-eyed at the idea you use a dog to hunt and blame you for the damage. However, they always conveniently forget the 'Five freedoms' espoused by the RSPCA; one of which is the freedom to express normal behaviour - and we all know what normal behaviour is for a spaniel.