Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet info required

Bullet info required

Folks
    This is probably in the wrong section but I need some info on 7mm.08 bullets:
    I have been offered some Hornady SST heads in 139gr. Has anyone used them, and if so was there much meat damage?
    the rifle I will be loading for is a Tikka M595.
    While I'm at it preffered powder and load?
    many thanks
    Alan

As its approaching a certain time of year, a few subtle hints of the "I need some reloading manuals" type may prove to be of some use

& don't call bullets "heads"

Heads are where the sailors meet their special friends...

I have used those in my Steyr Scout 7mm-08 and I found them very good. I have never had much damage with that round in any format really. I have just loaded some of the same for my 7 milly Rem, so we'll see soon enough.

I sent them on their way with Vit N140 by the way. I also had some .308 factory loads with the SST and they were fine

Chris

Saddler
    You call them what you want and I'll call them what I want, if you didn,t know what I meant how come you answered this so quickly. Also you seem to be very familiar with the American military slang for toilets, wonder why?????

Chris
    Many thanks for the info.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Saddler
    You call them what you want and I'll call them what I want, if you didn,t know what I meant how come you answered this so quickly. Also you seem to be very familiar with the American military slang for toilets, wonder why?????
    US Navy, to be exact

My degree is in military history (helps to have some technical knowledge of the subject matter)

An example of technical knowledge, could be:
    A bullet is a projectile propelled by a firearm, sling, or air gun. Bullets do not normally contain explosives,[1] but damage the intended target by impact and penetration. The word "bullet" is sometimes colloquially used to refer to ammunition in general, or to a cartridge, which is a combination of the bullet, case/shell, powder, and primer. This incorrect use of 'bullet' when 'cartridge' is intended, leads to confusion when the components of a cartridge are discussed or intended. See the reference section for more detail.
    Just seemed odd that you started off a thread "Bullet info required " then call bullets heads, then have a hissy fit when pulled up about it.
    You asked a question, you were given an answer...

Not disagreeing there Saddler, but your definition there doesn't actually preclude the use of the word 'head' to describe a bullet. It simply doesn't include it.

Hey, I'd like to get into a debate with my local FLO when it says calibre on my ticket and I put .257 and he says that's not acceptable. Oh, you mean cartridge?

Chris

Saddler
    Degree in Military history WTF has that got to do with 139gr bullet damage?
    No wonder members of this site dont like coming on it to ask questions or add comments when they come up against smart arses like you.
    I have the info I need from Chris.
    end of thread
    Alan

SD Regular
    I've used the standard Hornady 139 grain 7mm and found them very accurate. I have never used the SST as many places do not like "rifles" to turn up with any sort of plastic tipped bullet.

I've used the 139 and 154 7 mm SST's in 7mm SAUM with very good results on both paper and deer .