sloe gin

UrbanIslander

ok all - maybe a bit left field but i was just decanting the last of last years sloe gin and wondered if anybody here had any magical recipes they swear by?

Calum

Well it relies on sloes, that's for sure. And this year there waren't none. I found three on my usual hedge. It's so high that I have to stand on my roof rack to pick them. So pretty sure no one beat me to them.

Gin, sugar and sloes for me usually. But I have heard people stick a vanilla pod in there. I like that idea.

Chris

Calum,

I tend to make mine in a two litre pop bottle. I fill the bottles about two thirds full of sloes and then fill the bottles almost full with gin and about half a pound of sugar. I let it steep for a few months and then add extra sugar to taste. I usually put a few dried juniper berries in.

This year has been poor for sloes round our way.

Cheers,

Bob

Been a good thread on this in the past lots of individual recipes. Personally I add a few blackberry.
Just filtered off 5litres from last year

like you Chris there have been slim pickings in my usual haunts this year.

has anyone ventured down the cinnamon stick and cloves ingredients line?

Five litres!!! :eek::eek:

Right. Err, I may need a bigger hip flask.

And one of those hedge flailing machines.

I like to make elderberry and crabapple jelly too. But last two years? Nope. Shocking. Was going to make cider this year form all the free apple trees around me. Saw less than half a doz apples on 4 trees.

Chris

ok all - maybe a bit left field but i was just decanting the last of last years sloe gin and wondered if anybody here had any magical recipes they swear by?

Calum

Quince soaked in Vodka, maybe some sugar added too.

My wife has got me a palinka cooker for Christmas - can't wait.

we used to use 1:1 sloes and sugar by weight
I now scale back the sugar a little probably 4:3 or 3:2 sloes to sugar by weight

approx half fill the bottle with sloes and sugar then put gin it.
turn once a month

dont leave the sloes in too long 3 months
and once decanted dont move it. I leave mine at least 9 months preferably longer.
make it in batches of 5-10 litres and it guarntees some vintage stuff of 3+ year old by the time you get to the end!

creates a crystal clear liqueur

im sure i also read somewhere in the dim and distant past that you could manufacture some perfectly quaffable stuff in a very short space of time if the sloes were cooked causing them to release their flavour and colour first.

Morrisons advertising Gin, whiskey etc for £11 :cool:

My mate made cola cube vodka one year and boy does it pack a punch and is tasty, well in small doses. Think he put 1/2lb of cubes in a 2 litre bottle of vodka and let it dissolve.

im sure i also read somewhere in the dim and distant past that you could manufacture some perfectly quaffable stuff in a very short space of time if the sloes were cooked causing them to release their flavour and colour first.

Simple version that works fine for me and everybody else who drinks it

1lb Sloes + 1lb Golden Castor Sugar + Litre Bottle Gin + Litre Bottle Polish Spirit and optional ,Almond Essense/extract

Put the sloes unstoned into a big oven dish add 2/3 tablespoons of water cover the sloes with most of the sugar, keep a bit back to adjust for taste.

Place in a hot oven for about 20 mins untill you have what will look like jam in the dish, do not overcook or burn, leave to cool, but don`t let them go cold.

Once cool place a flour sieve over a deep bowl and pour all the contents into the sieve, force the mixture through untill you have only the stones left in the sieve, pour on a little Gin to rinse the stones, remove the stones and rinse the sieve with a bit more Gin, at this point taste and add more sugar if needed.

You now have a bowl of deep red jam, simply add the bottle of Gin and half the bottle of Polish Spirit, gently mix everything together, pour into bottles and shake well to mix

Leave to stand overnight, decant through a clean Nylon/Silk Stocking add more Polish Spirit if you wish to give a kick, and ,the Almond essense/extract to taste if you like, a couple of drops is enough for a litre

Stand the bottles in the garage for a couple of days, you can if you wish decant again if you don`t like your Gin a tad cloudy, but in all honesty it don`t make a jot of difference to the taste which is WONDERFULL:tiphat:

If you try it I hope you enjoy it if you don`t you`ll never know what your missing

MERRY XMAS to all on this site and have a great NEW YEAR

Bob

Have you lot not heard of deep freezes?

Picked huge ammount last year so froze them. Fill 2 litre plastic bottle 1/3rd full and cover with gin + add little 70% Poteen. Sugar to taste and leave in cupboard and give good shake every day. Mine have been in just over 6 weeks looks and tastes good. Either decant or filter the choice is yours.

D

Happyhunt has very kindly made me some for the last year and this year. I understand that the lack of sloes means that there will be little about next year.

You can't pick what isn't there. No point freezing empty plastic bags. Been virtually nothing for two years now.

C

At our last lett day some very clever person gave us a tumbler of sloegin bucks fiz I'd have given my left nut for the full bottle baz

Ah a sloegasm bazil. Thats what we call them....champers over a good splosh of sloe gin.
I make a syrup of sloes and sugar and add that to whatever spirit I happen to have, I also add some cherry brandy and a couple of drops of almond essence.
I prefer sloe whisky to sloe gin...delish.

no need to cry if no sloes guys...it works with any fruit or combo of fruit

and i make same in voddy as i do gin

and if desperate for sloes ...folk are even selling em on evilbay.

sloe gin
sloe voddy
sloe & strawberry gin & voddy
strawberry & blackcurrant
raspberry & kiwi fruit gin / voddy

get the idea yet? someone posted earlier about a quick method with cooking the fruit...it was in shooting times last yea ri think or year afore... tried it and prefered the tried n tested versions.

a vanilla pod in is good...some folks bottle it then pour in a splash o cherry brandy .

plenty variation and half the funs experimenting.....just mind and buy sticky labels to put on yr bottles so if you have one that stands out above the rest you mind how to make it!!!! my mate a belter and hes spent the last few years trying to replicate it!!! and cant mind what he put in what quantities!!

paul

When its made, and in the bottles or jars for storage, add a couple of blanched almonds, less intense than a vanilla pod but smooths the bitterness of the Berries. Then don't forget to remove it before its swigged!

I read the same and have tried that recipe this year. I'm waiting to decant having done it a month ago - I can provide the recipe if people can't find the link for it. Basically you make a syrup by baking the sloes in some sugar a little water and then sieve the contents to remove pips etc into the gin - testing it after a week, it seemed pretty good - but there's some serious decanting to do.......

I read the same and have tried that recipe this year. I'm waiting to decant having done it a month ago - I can provide the recipe if people can't find the link for it. Basically you make a syrup by baking the sloes in some sugar a little water and then sieve the contents to remove pips etc into the gin - testing it after a week, it seemed pretty good - but there's some serious decanting to do.......

recipie would be much appreciated -

Gave up my subscription to shooting times years ago. Same stories over and over - suppose that's inevitable with a seasonal hobby - so didn't see thier version. One from bobg757 will get a go and be good to see if your better :stir:

Back