Variations on a 243 improved theme?

Tedward

Following on from the 243 AI thread,
has anybody any experience with, or opinions on the following calibres:
6mm Super LR and the 243 Imp 30 ?
Further details can be found on www.6mmar.com
cheers, Tedward.

You will get a better responce on ukvarminting.com a few of the chaps use them.

They don't offer much if anything over a standard .243 except the long neck is refuted to assist in slowing throat erosion.

I am planning a 6slr. Looks like a 6BR on steroids.

Hi SE,
really like the long neck on the 6SupLR, but also like the idea of a tad more powder for the heavier weight bullets with the 243 imp 30. Just thinking that both of these, while not drastically increasing performance over the standard, still offer alternatives without sacrificing function, - decisions, decisions!

So whats wrong with the .244 AKA Rem 6mm?. Was quite a popular round in London rifle making circles in its day.

Want more speed then 6x284 and be done with it, more put down power then 6.5 or 7mm.

A

So whats wrong with the .244 AKA Rem 6mm?. Was quite a popular round in London rifle making circles in its day.

Want more speed then 6x284 and be done with it, more put down power then 6.5 or 7mm.

A

Or even the 6mm Rem AI? IMO one of the best 6mms, it has the desirable long neck 40 degree shoulder and increased case capacity over the 243 AI.
If i was going to have a 6mm for long range varminting it would be one of these, but i wont because i have a 257 Improved, a superb cartridge with just the ballistic edge over the 6mm Rem AI and the 243 AI, plus it will handle all bullets weights from 75grn up to 120s with a 1:10 twist.

Ian.

Hi All,
Many thanks for the link JCS.
I'm currently re-loading for a plain-jane 243, and when it's time to re-barrel I thought one with a faster twist (handling 87 to 115gr bullets), wouldn't give up too much to any of the other aforementioned calibres while utilising mostly my current gear. I have no experience of 6mm-284, but would have concerns about recoil and barrel wear.
Another option would indeed be increasing bore diameter to 6.5mm!
Plenty of time to make my mind up- - thanks for all the help so far,
cheers, Tedward.

...I'm currently re-loading for a plain-jane 243, and when it's time to re-barrel I thought one with a faster twist (handling 87 to 115gr bullets),...

Tedward. That's a move I've made myself. I had a Sako 75 in 243 with 1:10 twist and re-barreled it to 1:8 twist with a Borders Archer barrel. It's the rifle in my graphic to the left. It shot really well, then I sold it to another Forum member. Now I have a 243 Ackley (see Gallery) and that shoots very nicely too. Good luck. JCS

My rifle is a Tikka 595, but I might just follow your lead JCS, - (unless the attraction of the greater bullet weight of the 6.5 prevails) horses for courses - decisions, decisions !
many thanks, Tedward.

Back