Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decapping live primers

Decapping live primers

Need some help. Have changed guns, ave a few bullets fom the old gun and would like to recycle hem. Have an inertia hammers so can remove bullets and powder. How do I remove primer? Is it safe to decap n the normal way. Can I then reuse the primer or will it have been damaged in the decap ping process

Just do it the normal way but catch the primer before it drops in with the rest

Also wear eye protection and decap very slowly!!

Quote Originally Posted by ths84 View Post
    Just do it the normal way but catch the primer before it drops in with the rest
    Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Also wear eye protection and decap very slowly!!
    This is good advice. I have done many but if you get a stiff one don't pile on the pressure but set it aside and fire it off in the normal way.

hi mate i have done lots with no problems i scrap mine and use new primers, just decap like you would fired ones regards biker1
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

I remove my primers with gentle but firm pressure and reuse them if they are undamaged, eye protection and gloves are a sensible precaution although I have never had a detonation. atb Tim

Thanks for this will be careful.

One of these is handy to have - RCBS Universal Decapping Die - Sinclair Intl
    all it does is remove the primer then the case can be processed. Regards JCS

You could always remove the decapping pin from the die, then just resize the case without removing the primer, thats the way I do it when changing rifles but retaining the same calibre.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    You could always remove the decapping pin from the die, then just resize the case without removing the primer, thats the way I do it when changing rifles but retaining the same calibre.

John
    Or just back the decapping rod out until it won't remove the primer but expands the case neck.~Muir