Thread: 22 wmr

22 wmr

hi i have a 22 rim fire slot , so i asked my feo if i could buy a 22 wmr rim fire and was told no , and that i would need a variation , now if thats correct and i guess would then be a single shot wmr , how come you can buy a semi auto wmr ,

Who or what is an feo ?

Firearm enforcement officer perhaps ?

This is yet another area of firearms licensing where different police forces have different attitudes. There can be no doubt that the .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire(.22 WMR) cartridge is a .22RF and it is lawful to own a .22WMR rifle with a self loading action as a Section 1 firearm.

Some police forces will not differentiate between the .22rf long rifle round and the .22WMR whilst others will say that it is a different cartridge and thus requires a separate authority (slot) to acquire. The National Firearms Licensing Management System (NFLMS) has the .22RF and .22WMR available as different cartridges. The .22WMR being approximately 20% more powerful than the .22RF long rifle.

Where you are most likely to experience difficulty is acquiring ammunition if you do not have .22WMR specified on your firearm certificate. Many RFDs will not supply WMR without it being specified. As you would appear to be in a police area where the difference is an issue, I think your best course of action would be to apply for a 'one for one' variation, which is free of charge. The .22WMR ammunition is about four times the cost of standard .22RF but it is a good cartridge and very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Who or what is an feo ?

Firearm enforcement officer perhaps ?
    It stands for 'Firearms Enquiry Officer', in the UK these are the people who visit applicants and make reports and recommendations to those who decide whether an application should be granted on not.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    The .22WMR being approximately 20% more powerful than the .22RF long rifle.
    The .22WMR ammunition is about four times the cost of standard .22RF but it is a good cartridge and very effective.
    try 50% at least

.22lr HV 40gr - 1260fps MV 140ftlb ME
    .22WMR 40gr - 1920fps MV 324ftlb ME

drop to a 30gr and the Mv jumps to 2200 fps

Cost wise I don't pay anything like 4x the price, thats HMR territory

As to the logistics of buying one, you need to speak to the Firearms office and your RFD
    what did you apply for?

semis are allowed in WMR as the .22fr is the only semi auto "calibre" now allowed.
    IMO they didnt think this through and it slipped through as it is a much underated/underused cartridge in this country

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    try 50% at least

.22lr HV 40gr - 1260fps MV 140ftlb ME
    .22WMR 40gr - 1920fps MV 324ftlb ME

drop to a 30gr and the Mv jumps to 2200 fps

Cost wise I don't pay anything like 4x the price, thats HMR territory

As to the logistics of buying one, you need to speak to the Firearms office and your RFD
    what did you apply for?

semis are allowed in WMR as the .22fr is the only semi auto "calibre" now allowed.
    IMO they didnt think this through and it slipped through as it is a much underated/underused cartridge in this country
    You saved me the typing.~Muir

(5mm Rim Mag! 30 grain bullet @ 2557 f/sec= 433 ft/lbs!)
    Last edited by Muir; 09-12-2012 at 14:25.

I have a .22 WMR very underated IMHO. I had to specify .22wmr although on my ticket it shows up as .22rf MAG.

Mines a bolt action and all I applied for when I did the variation was a .22WMR rifle no mention of bolt semi auto or single shot.

If you do get one make sure you also ask fo expanding ammo as you can buy the Hornady 30 vmax 2200fps and hard hitting good for fox control and better than the 17hmr

Of course this is all my opinion though

Thanks for all those , so i will have to get a variation for my 22lr slot to a 22wmr , and as its a rimfire i then can get a semi . What rubbish , if i can get one anyway, why all the hassle , . i guess they could say no but i have a couple of 223's + open ticket so should get it .

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Thanks for all those , so i will have to get a variation for my 22lr slot to a 22wmr , and as its a rimfire i then can get a semi . What rubbish , if i can get one anyway, why all the hassle , . i guess they could say no but i have a couple of 223's + open ticket so should get it .

sounds like you will have no problem, but it will save you a trip the RFD and a revision to clarify.

If I was an RFD I would be covering my own arse by calling the Firearms Office to clarify regardless of what is on the ticket