Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell the farmer

Tell the farmer

How much should you tell the farmer. some call in say hello, some sneak in and out , some text . But how much should tell them. I go to farms and the farmer says he hasn't seen anybody for a year. Thats a sure way to lose your permission.

i tell the farmer every time for the first 4 or 5 visits i leave dead foxes by the gates for them to deal with.then after that i see them and agree a position that i park in every time i visit simply they can look out see my car there and know its me out with a lamp.stu

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by woodfordfallow View Post
    How much should you tell the farmer. some call in say hello, some sneak in and out , some text . But how much should tell them. I go to farms and the farmer says he hasn't seen anybody for a year. Thats a sure way to lose your permission.
    I suppose it depends on the farmer and the farm... ie some farms may be such that they readily allow you to take access to outlying areas, deer bearing areas, of the farm in complete safety and remote from the farmer, his home and the "active" parts of his business. In other setups you will want to shoot deer practically among his daily activities. Clearly, in the former a less stringent means of "notification" may suffice. However, in the latter, health and safety considerations alone, not to mention security aspects, demand that you notify clearly every time. ... It sort of .... just depends.

I would say that some sort of indication of your presence on the ground will usually be a very sensible precaution, on a typical working farm. Especially given that farms are "living things". So,work can or may be going on at any time of day and not just during ordinary "business hours".

Purely from a safety aspect i always inform the landowner/farmer when i wish to go stalking.
    Cheers
    Richard

I always txt the farmers before i set off to my shoots.

One farm I shoot Rabbits and Foxes on i ring the keeper to let him know i will be out and he lets me know if anyone else will be out on the land. this happens once in a while and i may change my plans but generally i think I must be the only regular. A couple of smaller farms i do just require me to txt them.

Reverse the situation.... You would want to know if someone was on your land wouldn't you?

I even let my Mum know when I'm shooting on our farm, just so she knows it's me and not wrong'uns after nicking the gates.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Just a text for me, and then if i am out in the evening then i will go round a bit earlier for a chat.

I visit the Farmer separate to my stalking that way i do not upset them while they are grafting. Some want to see me every day some would not care if i was ever there as long as when there's a problem i am there the day before lol.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 09-12-2012 at 13:23.

it's good to go and see the farmer and have a crack if he's got time, if you get on you quite often find he puts a good word with other neighbours and you can get an invite to sort out charlie which can lead to bigger things!