Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester introducing new rimfire cartridge.

Winchester introducing new rimfire cartridge.

Winchester - Worlds Fastest Rimfire Cartridge Coming Soon - The Rimfire Forum - The Varminter Forums

No telling what it is. Throughout Winchester's history they have announced "mystery" cartridges ahead of time to gin up interest. ~Muir

hmmm
    wonder if they will have brass problems like they current crop of necked down rimfires.....

or is this the response to the problem!?

Winchester opened up their own 17HMR line to get away from Hornady's problems. It's hard to say what they have up their sleeves. My guess is a composite (ultra light) 17HMR bullet: something with a 17 grain profile but a 12 grain weight. I don't know if they will come up with a new caliber. (14, etc)~Muir

.20 would be interesting
    25-30gr clocking 25-2700fps!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    .20 would be interesting
    25-30gr clocking 25-2700fps!
    They would have had to come up with some serious powder technology. The 5mm Magnum does 2550+ with a 30 grain bullet but does it with a case that is .250" in diameter and has a .323" rim using Eley priming. It operates at 31K which is 20% higher than the SAAMI max of every other rim fire. To do this on the smaller 22WMR case would be a real feat. I know that the 5mm uses a proprietary annealing and drawing process that insures safety at the high pressures involved. Winchester might have something similar but it's doubtful. I still guess that the speed will some from a very light bullet.~Muir

I like the idea of a lighter faster 17HMR but the linked forum posts suggest a new calibre??

Ian.

The author of the post said he heard to was an entirely new caliber but the press bit doesn't mention that. I know the guy who posted that, however, and he is pretty well connected in that industry so he may well be right.~Muir

I also like the idea of a 14 cal rimfire, From Cartridges of The World 11th edition:

"The 14 Eichelberger WRM is a screamer, getting 3700fps from a necked down Winchester Rimfire Magnum case".

Interesting.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I also like the idea of a 14 cal rimfire, From Cartridges of The World 11th edition:

"The 14 Eichelberger WRM is a screamer, getting 3700fps from a necked down Winchester Rimfire Magnum case".

Interesting.

Ian.
    Yeah. There were people toying with that one in the 80's when I was into such things. They would neck the 22WMR down to all kinds of configurations including just seating better bullets in place of the original slugs. I question whether it will be a 14 though. It may be that Winchester has gotten their Tula team in Russia to make some guns inexpensively but over here, the 14 cal barrels are a little pricey. A 19 cal with a 24 grain bullet perhaps? I guess time will tell.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Yeah. There were people toying with that one in the 80's when I was into such things. They would neck the 22WMR down to all kinds of configurations including just seating better bullets in place of the original slugs. I question whether it will be a 14 though. It may be that Winchester has gotten their Tula team in Russia to make some guns inexpensively but over here, the 14 cal barrels are a little pricey. A 19 cal with a 24 grain bullet perhaps? I guess time will tell.~Muir

Good God Andy!.............. Cheshire can't even get their heads around Twenty TAC, NEVER MIND TWO POSSIBLE NEW CALIBRES!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!