Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: atv training course

atv training course

Hi ,

looking to do an atv and/or 4wd training course with a recognised qualification at the end of it ! I take it there is such a thing ?

Any recomendations welcomed as it will be myself paying(not an employer) and i wouldnt want to waste my hard earned........

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    LANTRA simple! you'll need a couple more guys to do it with you but it's well wprth doing no mattewr how long you've been riding quads for.
    As for 4wd training..... again LANTRA but as you are in Devon look at David Bowyers off-road centre, cracking course that he does.

Is LANTRA sufficient these days?

Seems like most of the places who are actually demanding a certificate are asking for NPTC which means taking an assessment?

SD Regular
    LANTRA is sufficient as it is a government recognised course, the same as NPTC is.

Are you sure i heard fc wasnt accepting lantra ??

Me too.

Same as chainsaw... you can take the Lantra course but then you have to take the NPTC assessment which is good for life but needs (is it 3 or 5 years?) evidence of continuing improvement on training.

When I did my chainsaw tickets there were tree surgeons doing the basic CS30 course which was apparently good enough evidence for their ongoing proof of training even though they were using their saws every day for much more. Would be interested to know how it works with quads/atvs etc....

SD Regular
    Just had a look at the NPTC test schedule, and for the cost of another 150 quid ontop of what you've already paid for your LANTRA training (which you have to do before you can do the NPTC) and it's the same test you do for the LANTRA. So basically its a money making scheme. The LANTRA is THE qualification/training thats recognised by HSE

But the LANTRA isn't an assessment as such, you do the course and it's kind of continual assessment.... the material is the same but for NPTC you have to have an independent assessor come and assess you afterwards.... as far as I understand it most commercial bodies are now demanding NPTC, rightly or wrongly?

You dont have to do both the FC only recognise the nptc course it you have any knowledge and experianse of quads log onto the nptc web site and down load the course notes which tells you what you need to know and then just do the exam the cost is about 100
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

FC have accepted LANTRA for a member in one of my permissions. I personally wouldn't do the LANTRA because on the certificate it states that its only valid for 5 years. I did the City & Guilds NPTC which has no expire date.