Thread: Brno 243 cartridge chambering

Brno 243 cartridge chambering

I've bought a BRNO 243 for my son, when trying to chamber a round the last few centimetres take a good bit of force. I notice the shell does not slip easily into the bolt ejector mechanism. Has anyone had a problem like this and what is the answer please ?

SD Regular
    BRNO and CZ rifles are basically a clone of Mauser's system. Thus they require that cartridges must be fed FROM THE MAGAZINE and not, as on some, just lying on top of the magazine platform rather than pressed down into the magazine.

But I am sure that you know that. Otherwise it may be if the cartridges are reloaded that the chamber is machined to a tighter tolerance than the other 243 that these cartridges might have worked in.

The problem exists with the magazine fed cartridges and they are all bought cartridges.
    I got a private message regarding this and it seems there was a problem with the ejector on a batch and I am advised to look at changing the ejector, thanks for your post enfieldslpares.

Quote Originally Posted by K333ROE View Post
    The problem exists with the magazine fed cartridges and they are all bought cartridges.
    I got a private message regarding this and it seems there was a problem with the ejector on a batch and I am advised to look at changing the ejector, thanks for your post enfieldslpares.
    Why would the ejector (on a mauser system gun) cause hard bolt closure? Unless you mean extractor, in which case an over sized (ill fit) extractor can cause difficulties in bolt closure. I had to fit the extractor on my FN 6.5x55 when I rebarreled it from 30-06. As a test, look at the distal end of the extractor as you close the bolt on a fired casing. If the extractor flexes outward in the bolt race as the handle is lowered, there is fitting to be done. If it doesn't do it with a fired case then the problem lies elsewhere. I'm curious. What brand of ammunition? PPU ammo is notoriously hard to chamber in some rifles.~Muir

take the bolt out
    can you slide a case into the bolt face easily?

do the cases of unfired but chambered/exacted cases have any markings on the case wall/shoulder/neck that were not present before chambering.

A couple of my friends have BRNO 243 rifles & they do seem to be quite tight in the chamber. One of their rifles was suffering tight bolt closing syndrome when he first got it. Our initial thoughts were that these rifles have minimum size chambers cut in them & full length resizing had to be done to fully bump the shoulders back.
    When I next see them I'll check what's going on with their extractors.

Ian

clean the chamber with a 20 or 12 gauge shotgun jag, if there's loads of dirt in there that could be the bottleneck,,no pun intended.

if it closes fine with no case there's no reason it should struggle with a case (from an exctractor claw perspective).

you're sure it's a .243 right, and not a rebarreled wildcat chambering, etc.?

I have a .243 BRNO. It does the same from time to time. It tends to happen if the bullet isn't sitting nicely in the magazine in the first place. When loading make sure its one smooth action all the way.

Dave

Got it fixed, after receiving a mail from bbrc(bob) who suggested that the extractor was one of a faulty batch and I should give it a slight rub with a dremel, which I did.
    It seems that the "claw" on the extractor was catching on the casing and not allowing to it slip up smoothly so the shell housed in the chamber. It now slips in and ejects beautifully thanks.

that's good to hear, probably a non-original extractor then.