Thread: one more.

one more.

Hi All.
    One more for the good old 444ss Marlin. A nice fat muntjac doe not far 54yrds but every shots a good shot.
    I love those big 44s not much meat damage and eat right up to the hole .

I have to admit, you have piqued my curiosity.... my .45-70 is conditioned for deer and boar.... I only ever asked for boar and never intended to use it on deer but it seems one species doesn't come without the other with my police force however having seen the damage .243 can do on roe versus .30-06 I couldn't help but wonder...

Any chance of some entry/exit pics?

My only worry would be accuracy... I'm not confident with my .45-70 load beyond 50 yards really currently... work in progress!

Alex

the more i see these threads the more it pulls me in i really like the idea of getting really close with open sights for some real memorable stalks thanks,wayne
    great going by the way you are really racking them up with that lever well done

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Exit wound 444.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    I have to admit, you have piqued my curiosity.... my .45-70 is conditioned for deer and boar.... I only ever asked for boar and never intended to use it on deer but it seems one species doesn't come without the other with my police force however having seen the damage .243 can do on roe versus .30-06 I couldn't help but wonder...

Any chance of some entry/exit pics?

My only worry would be accuracy... I'm not confident with my .45-70 load beyond 50 yards really currently... work in progress!

Alex
    Hi Alex.
    Your 45-70 would be good for deer out to say 2ooyrds zero 3" high at 100yrds only 2 1/2 low at 200yrds. Entry wound 1/2" exit 1" little meat damage
    and as you say the 243win kills meat unlike the big slow 44s and 45s. But a 44 going at 2350fps get's the job done for me.
    You can shoot more than 200yrds with a 45-70 but not for me only at paper not game. The wound on the deer in my pict is the exit wound.
    All the best lever man.