Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What age is to young

What age is to young

You guys out there who are fathers at what age did you take your children out stalking. My boy is eight now hes been in the high seat a couple of times shot a couple of foxes but no deer as yet i can remember going ferreting at five shooting 12 bore at 12 years of age and busting my nose he keeps pestering to go just dont want to put him off to often that he looses interest. This may have been done before but thought i would ask cheers

my boy is out with me at 13,

If he wants to go, take him, but make sure you tailor the trip to suit his attention span. Also, make sure he is wearing some good kit as getting cold and wet is a sure way to put him off! My kids have 'Norsveda' suits and Deer hunter 'Little Oscar' suits. Decent fur lined or neoprene boots and some good gloves and hat also. It might cost you a bit, but it is gear that sells on well afterwards or keeps for future siblings. What price do you put on securing a future stalking buddy? Maybe think about getting a little silenced pre-charged air rifle like a Air Arms S200 which can be used for any passing vermin?
    I often stalk behind my lad who takes the lead with his air rifle. He bags any small stuff like rabbits and squizzers and if he sees a deer (which he often does before me!) he steps to the side and I take over.
    Also, you'll get more leave passes signed if you are taking the kids out! mine even book me out on the calendar so it's not my fault that I'm never home any more!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by TWATEM 270 View Post
    You guys out there who are fathers at what age did you take your children out stalking. My boy is eight now hes been in the high seat a couple of times shot a couple of foxes but no deer as yet i can remember going ferreting at five shooting 12 bore at 12 years of age and busting my nose he keeps pestering to go just dont want to put him off to often that he looses interest. This may have been done before but thought i would ask cheers
    Personally i think he has to have an understanding of why we kill animals first. In my own opinion eight is too young but that`s me, others are bound to feel differently. Eight year olds want game boys, ps3`s and there mums and they haven`t got alot of patience. He`s but a child, you can`t mould him. Let him grow a little more.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who shoots sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by TWATEM 270 View Post
    I shot my first red at 9 been at it ever since, still only a beginner ,if he is out with you and your practices are good ,and you give him a chance he will want more and more, good early education is the key to success every time .

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Personally i think he has to have an understanding of why we kill animals first. In my own opinion eight is too young but that`s me, others are bound to feel differently. Eight year olds want game boys, ps3`s and there mums and they haven`t got alot of patience. He`s but a child, you can`t mould him. Let him grow a little more.

I don't agree.
    My eldest is eight and he has had a detailed understanding of why and what I shoot, be it magpies and foxes as a pest, rabbits as an edible pest, pheasant/pigeon/deer as sport/food.
    He has been fishing and caught and cooked his first trout aged 5

all know exactly where food comes from and why we kill them

My eldest is too young, not because of his understanding because he can't sit still or shut up for longer than 20 seconds!!
    He wants to come though

Well I am 15 and I can remember going out to one of the fields and shooting a tin can at the age of 5 and the first time I shot a 20bore on a cock day with the help of my dad and that was when I was 7 going on 8 so I think it is good to go out with your son at a young age because if not he mite go off it. Also make shore that you go on a field with lots to shoot at as he mite complain he walks to far and don't get a shot.
    I think 8 is the perfect time to get in to shooting

kieran :0)

my own boys(little shooter) and his older brother have been beating with me since an early age, both shoot air rifles under my guidance and are fairly good at it they must have decent clothing though, nothing puts them of quicker than being cold and wet,i am glad they show an interest in the sport as it needs the young blood to keep it going,little shooter also likes to cook so we do that together also.
    Give instruction to a wise man and he will be yet wiser

This is interesting to me as I have a daughter who is not quite 6 pestering me to go deer stalking and I think that I shall take her to sit up a high seat with me as she is so keen . She comes ferreting all the time and is very good. Is she too young?
    She has an elder brother 13 who isn't that botthered if he comes shooting etc that much, he enjoys it but would rather be off metal detecting.

Just going to add (because I have to!) that youngsters can get involved with stalking at any age but these days current legislation means there is a minimum age they can actually pull the trigger.

Alex