What age is to young

SDM

You guys out there who are fathers at what age did you take your children out stalking. My boy is eight now hes been in the high seat a couple of times shot a couple of foxes but no deer as yet i can remember going ferreting at five shooting 12 bore at 12 years of age and busting my nose he keeps pestering to go just dont want to put him off to often that he looses interest. This may have been done before but thought i would ask cheers

If he wants to go, take him, but make sure you tailor the trip to suit his attention span. Also, make sure he is wearing some good kit as getting cold and wet is a sure way to put him off! My kids have 'Norsveda' suits and Deer hunter 'Little Oscar' suits. Decent fur lined or neoprene boots and some good gloves and hat also. It might cost you a bit, but it is gear that sells on well afterwards or keeps for future siblings. What price do you put on securing a future stalking buddy? Maybe think about getting a little silenced pre-charged air rifle like a Air Arms S200 which can be used for any passing vermin?
I often stalk behind my lad who takes the lead with his air rifle. He bags any small stuff like rabbits and squizzers and if he sees a deer (which he often does before me!:oops:) he steps to the side and I take over.
Also, you'll get more leave passes signed if you are taking the kids out! mine even book me out on the calendar so it's not my fault that I'm never home any more!:D
MS:thumb:

You guys out there who are fathers at what age did you take your children out stalking. My boy is eight now hes been in the high seat a couple of times shot a couple of foxes but no deer as yet i can remember going ferreting at five shooting 12 bore at 12 years of age and busting my nose he keeps pestering to go just dont want to put him off to often that he looses interest. This may have been done before but thought i would ask cheers
Personally i think he has to have an understanding of why we kill animals first. In my own opinion eight is too young but that`s me, others are bound to feel differently. Eight year olds want game boys, ps3`s and there mums and they haven`t got alot of patience. He`s but a child, you can`t mould him. Let him grow a little more.

I shot my first red at 9 been at it ever since, still only a beginner ,if he is out with you and your practices are good ,and you give him a chance he will want more and more, good early education is the key to success every time .

Personally i think he has to have an understanding of why we kill animals first. In my own opinion eight is too young but that`s me, others are bound to feel differently. Eight year olds want game boys, ps3`s and there mums and they haven`t got alot of patience. He`s but a child, you can`t mould him. Let him grow a little more.

I don't agree.
My eldest is eight and he has had a detailed understanding of why and what I shoot, be it magpies and foxes as a pest, rabbits as an edible pest, pheasant/pigeon/deer as sport/food.
He has been fishing and caught and cooked his first trout aged 5

all know exactly where food comes from and why we kill them

My eldest is too young, not because of his understanding because he can't sit still or shut up for longer than 20 seconds!!
He wants to come though

Well I am 15 and I can remember going out to one of the fields and shooting a tin can at the age of 5 and the first time I shot a 20bore on a cock day with the help of my dad and that was when I was 7 going on 8 so I think it is good to go out with your son at a young age because if not he mite go off it. Also make shore that you go on a field with lots to shoot at as he mite complain he walks to far and don't get a shot.
I think 8 is the perfect time to get in to shooting

kieran :0)

my own boys(little shooter) and his older brother have been beating with me since an early age, both shoot air rifles under my guidance and are fairly good at it they must have decent clothing though, nothing puts them of quicker than being cold and wet,i am glad they show an interest in the sport as it needs the young blood to keep it going,little shooter also likes to cook so we do that together also.

This is interesting to me as I have a daughter who is not quite 6 pestering me to go deer stalking and I think that I shall take her to sit up a high seat with me as she is so keen . She comes ferreting all the time and is very good. Is she too young?
She has an elder brother 13 who isn't that botthered if he comes shooting etc that much, he enjoys it but would rather be off metal detecting.

Just going to add (because I have to!) that youngsters can get involved with stalking at any age but these days current legislation means there is a minimum age they can actually pull the trigger.

Alex

I don't agree.
My eldest is eight and he has had a detailed understanding of why and what I shoot, be it magpies and foxes as a pest, rabbits as an edible pest, pheasant/pigeon/deer as sport/food.
He has been fishing and caught and cooked his first trout aged 5

all know exactly where food comes from and why we kill them

My eldest is too young, not because of his understanding because he can't sit still or shut up for longer than 20 seconds!!
He wants to come though
I did say others are bound to feel differently.

Just going to add (because I have to!) that youngsters can get involved with stalking at any age but these days current legislation means there is a minimum age they can actually pull the trigger.

Alex

What legislation is this .

There is legislation on what age you can carry a weapon unsupervised, not on pulling the trigger .

Alex

+1 CSL, check the age that the trigger can pe pulled, it is 17 unless they have their own FAC which can be at 14, even then they cannot borrow a rifle or use an estate rifle facility until 17.

Last edited:
+2 Just be aware of the legislation, don't get caught out and if you have done so inadvertantly in the past don't go shouting about it.

+1 CSL, check the age that the trigger can pe pulled, it is 17 unless they have their own FAC which can be at 14, even then they cannot borrow a rifle or use an estate rifle facility.

Rubbish anyone can pull the trigger at any age as long as they are SUPERVISED, the army cadets etc introduce kids of 12 to shooting if there was any sort of law /legislation would this be happening NO.

Must admit my understanding was that a youngster under 14 can only shoot a section 1 at a home office approved range but they can shoot shotguns at any age under supervision. My lad started with a 410 at stationary targets at 6 and is now 10 and shooting a 20 bore confidently. He has shot air guns but I have not allowed him to shoot my 22rf or larger rifles

im sure youll find there is a law if you check but as with most legislation there is a exception ,
i had my lad out pigeon shooting/ferreting,lamping ,trapping at 5 he understood exactly why we do it and i sometimes quiz him about it and it defo sunk in problems do arise at school when he doesnt quite give them the full story but soon gets explained if they ask most seem interested

My son is 9 and has a full understanding of the reasons and benefits of both hunting for the pot, and vermin control. He started shooting feral pigeons with an air rifle when 7, shoots clays with his own shortened 28bore and last week I'm very proud to say shot his first mallard.
He also enjoys another branch of shooting with me but thats enough said!:thumb:
ATB
Lee

well my son is only 6 months old, and when ever he can walk he will be intruduced to what i do. in my opinion there is not an age when you can be too young. earlier the better if you want them to take up the sport. im just talking form my experience as i started out quite young and i loved it so hoping my sons has the same enthusiasm as i did when young and takes up this wondeful sport that i have been lucky enough to enjoy myself since a young age. all this legislation, have a bit of common sense, if the kid wants to do things then why not let him try, it can all be done safely in supervision but come, you want to encourge youngsters to take up the sport not discourage them by saying no your too young, in my opinion thats when they will lose interest in it and get caught up in playstaitions or xbox and too busy shooting other in COD. get them out in the countryside much better lifestyle than being stuck in the house all day.

Alex

Go and do your homework and stop talking rubbish, please?

Back