Proof Date Codes

Sorry for being a bit dim, is this applicable to all proof marks, rifle and shotgun?

Alex

All proof marks on all weapons rifle (and pistol) as well as shot gun for these date codes, yes. My Parker Hale 270 as it was proved in Birmingham has the crossed sword "X" date code on it. They all will...usually under the barrel on some.

Last edited:
I found the site for the Birmingham Proof House. A good site that enables you to date small arms that have passed through the Birmingham Proof House.

Dating your rifle - Rifleman.org.uk

Last edited:
Hi,

Can you tell the year of manufacture of a rifle with the serial number, if so where can i get the source of reference IE ser no = year.

Some manufacturer's have serial numbers and date ranges, but not always commonly available. generally easier with military rifles since there are a number of website with this info. Winchester can date for you, but do levy a charge. There are also some small handy guides of model and dates (I use them for pistols all the time: Browning, Colt, Winchester, Smith&Wesson). Knibb's book (Golden century) has manufacture dates ranges for BSA rifles. What maker and Model?

I have, as said, posted it in the Proof Date Codes "sticky". I hope, with the permission of the SD owners, that we might have a dedicated "sticky" for links to official manuals?

Back