Cannot Zero! help needed!

robert1666

I had my dmq level one today went to do the shooting part of it with my .223 cz 527 ebony edition guns about 5 years old with a t8 moderator about 2 years old, as i say i went to do the 100 yards to check my zero gun was hiting all over the place one shot on the target others were flying everywhere about 2 foot away from original point of aim!! could not get a group! i reload my own ammo last time i checked the zero 3 weeks ago it was fine nice 1 inch groups at 100 yards! so anyways i thought maybe its my reloads that are the problem maybe ive made a total arse of this batch! so i went home loaded another 12 bullets using the scale instead of the powder tipper and got the exact measurement and took these to my range still shooting all over the bit and i dont mean within a few inches i mean about a foot out !!! this is not on! help??????????? i checked that my barrel was free floating using the 10 pound not and its free all the way down to the action , i also took the moderator off this made no difference to my groupings!!! i checked all my mounts etc were all tight! the guns lucky if its shot 800 rounds thorugh it surely the barrels not worn out ? also i went to rod it for the first time 3 weeks ago and the rod broke with the brush half way down the barrel so managed to get it out using set of pliers on the rod could the brass brush of damaged the barrel? also today at the range i noticed my scope eye pieces was wobly so tightend it when i did this and looked thorugh it the picture was very dark fired 3 shots and it came back to normal and was still shooting all over the bit? could my scope be fooked? the scope was a 150 quid new job all i could affford at the time how do i know if my scopes knacked? Also one or two of my home loads sounded different i.e the bang sounded louder ? soooo frustrating as my home loads have always been pretty bang on could my mod be knackered how can i tell if it is?
My plan of action is to fire some factory amo with mod and without mod see if it groups if not then im gonna get my mates scope give it a try and see if i can group some shots !

has anyone had any experience of damaged rifleign in the barrel? what does it look like on the target?

sorry this is so long winded but this is cracking me up this little rifle is my pride and joy! any ideas and help would be appreciated cheers

ohh afore anyone says it ITS NOT MY SHOOTING! LOL as the instructor gave me his 308 and i had 6 shots all grouping within the inch at 100 yards

also today at the range i noticed my scope eye pieces was wobly so tightend it when i did this and looked thorugh it the picture was very dark fired 3 shots and it came back to normal and was still shooting all over the bit? could my scope be fooked? the scope was a 150 quid new job all i could affford at the time how do i know if my scopes knacked? Also one or two of my home loads sounded different i.e the bang sounded louder ? soooo frustrating as my home loads have always been pretty bang on could my mod be knackered how can i tell if it is?

sounds like your scope

borrow a scope or buy a second fixed mag scope of decent quality or one that is known to be good.

wobbly scope parts and sight picture changing is never a good sign
you dont need to spend huge money on a scope
very few of mine are more than £50-100 second hand

also today at the range i noticed my scope eye pieces was wobly so tightend it when i did this and looked thorugh it the picture was very dark fired 3 shots and it came back to normal and was still shooting all over the bit? could my scope be fooked? the scope was a 150 quid new job all i could affford at the time how do i know if my scopes knacked?

If I read it correctly, the scope eyepiece was wobbly, but when you tightened it then you got three shots in a group before it started firing all over the place? Or was it just dark until you fired three shots and then the brightness improved? Either way, the first thing I would do is swap the scope and try one from a mate that you know holds zero. It sounds like you've followed the other steps to try to eliminate the problem.

willie_gunn

Seems to be a lot of variables there and I think the best thing you could do is try to pick them off one at a time.

Can you borrow a known good scope? That might be an easy place to start.

It is unlikely the brass brush damaged the barrel but any chance you put the pliers down from the muzzle end and might have damaged the crown?

The fact that your home loads are making different noises is also a worry so it might be worth getting a box of factory ammo and seeing how it groups. If the factory ammo is good when tested with a known good scope then chances are your rifle isn't damaged and it is the scope at fault.

Scope would be my bet best way to check is try another, it's possible you could have damaged the rifling with the rod but at half way I cannot see it upsetting the applecart that much as I have seen rifles with almost smooth bores still maintain 1 1/2 at 100 yds.
Best place to start would be the scope, what ever your coarse of action eliminate one thing at a time or you will end up more frustrated than you are now.

I have had the same sort of prob with my 6mm Remington with my first scope I was shooting sub 1inch groups at 100 yards.
After putting a new scope on the rounds where jumping all over the place. I later found out one of the ret had snapped so the point of aim was always differant. If you have checked everything and its all gd I would be inclined to say the scope is bust. Try a differant scope I am sure this will sort things out.

Regards
craig

Robert

I take it you failed the shooting test then, how did the rest of the Level 1 go? Hate to say it but I did tell you to zero before you went, you bad lad!!!

Give me a bell and we can see if we can sort you out with another scope to rule this out.

ATB

Andy

I once bought a secondhand scope for a hmr17 it would not shoot consistantly, tried a new scope and it was perfect.
The scope i bought was duff
Can you remember if it was possible to bave damaged the crown with the pliars, this would be critical.
Hope this helps

I passed the full test I used the estates 308, I'm going to borrow a scope this week see what happens need to find a range I can use with lights! Ha. Failing that ill need to wait till saturday, thanks for everyones suggestions cheers

I passed the full test I used the estates 308, I'm going to borrow a scope this week see what happens need to find a range I can use with lights! Ha. Failing that ill need to wait till saturday, thanks for everyones suggestions cheers

Well done Robert, you'll be relieve it is out the road now and told you nothing to worry about :thumb:

Just need to find some shooting now once this rifles fixed also fc away for variation for .270 today so we will see if I get it back before xmas ha

As others have said sounds like your scope. That would be my starting point from the information you have given. I'll always remember when buying my first set up - save as much money up as you can & buy your scope then use the change to buy your rifle. If you can't see them you can't shoot them.
Wingy

Robert speak to stu, thar or myself (if I manage back down to lochwood this season!!!) at the next shoot. 1 of us could have a look at it during lunch. Oh good show pasding your L1.

John

Robert speak to stu, thar or myself (if I manage back down to lochwood this season!!!) at the next shoot. 1 of us could have a look at it during lunch. Oh good show pasding your L1.

John

Yeah im borrowing a scope from stuart to try on saturday but first off im gonna fire some factory ammo and try it but ive a feeling its my scope 99percent , ill let you all know how it goes, Hope to see you at lochwood afore season is over

Back