Thread: Anyone got a proper Buleing Kit???

Anyone got a proper Buleing Kit???

Took apart my rifle bolt on my old CZ to clean it the other night... put a few of the rusty bits in the sonic cleaner... and forgot about them!

It's all nice and clean now, and still works obviously, but would be nice to restore it properly - does anyone have a proper blueing kit I could use or pay them to do it for me?

Otherwise is there a cold-blueing kit that actually works?!

Thanks in advance,
    BD

what are you bluing? big parts or little ones?

if small do it yourself with a pyrex pan, this recipe and a camping stove in the yard/garden
    The Hunter's Life - View Single Post - Rolling Block Refurbishing Project Comments Here Please.

chemicals available cheaply (under 15)

you will get an infinitely better result than any cold blue kit

if bigger, make yourself a boiler. still cheaper than paying 200 odd in fuel and charges

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    what are you bluing? big parts or little ones?

if small do it yourself with a pyrex pan, this recipe and a camping stove in the yard/garden
    The Hunter's Life - View Single Post - Rolling Block Refurbishing Project Comments Here Please.

chemicals available cheaply (under 15)

you will get an infinitely better result than any cold blue kit

if bigger, make yourself a boiler. still cheaper than paying 200 odd in fuel and charges
    Thanks Bewsher - any idea what DIW is?! (forgive my ignorance)

see pm.
    Last edited by PKL; 10-12-2012 at 15:26.

DIW that will be deionised water.

Thanks both - now just trying to work out if I've ruined part of the bolt... stupidly left the stainless body of the bolt in the sonic cleaner with the bolt handle and it appears to have oxidised... any ideas on how to get this out?

I'm a total novice to metallurgy so I'm assuming it will still be fit for purpose?

I hate to admit this, but I did the same to a brand new CZ527
    The bright parts will just polish up again, I used T-Cut and a rag, the blue bits I did with Potassium Nitrate KN0-2
    It comes in powder form, put it in a stainless steel container and heat till clear liquid, pre-heat the parts and then
    into the liquid, 15 minutes later you will have bright blue shiny parts, remove and quench in oil.
    It isn't as good or the method describes in the other link, but it is easy and quick, mine still looks fine 2 years on.
    I got the info from this thread Beartooth Bullets > Tech Notes > Marlin Trapper Carbine!

Neil.