Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .243 reloading

.243 reloading

Hi Guys I could do with a little help please, Im fairly new to reloading I have a browning abolt in .243, I wanted to reload using hornady v-max 87g bullets with hogdons H4895 powder. The only problem being I cant find any info on this bullet/powder combination, but can for 90 or 80grain bullets?. Does anybody on here use the same combo of bullet/powder, I just need a base really to start from.
    Cheers
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johndownes View Post
    Hi Guys I could do with a little help please, Im fairly new to reloading I have a browning abolt in .243, I wanted to reload using hornady v-max 87g bullets with hogdons H4895 powder. The only problem being I cant find any info on this bullet/powder combination, but can for 90 or 80grain bullets?. Does anybody on here use the same combo of bullet/powder, I just need a base really to start from.
    Cheers
    John
    just use the 90gr load and work it up from there it wont be far away

Hi John
    Go to this link below, you will find data for 85gr heads. I would start on the same load data and work from there. Good luck
    Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

Quote Originally Posted by SA shooter View Post
    Hi John
    Go to this link below, you will find data for 85gr heads. I would start on the same load data and work from there. Good luck
    Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com
    wrong advice mate as the 85gr bullet will have a lot more powder in than a 90gr always go for the next heavier bullet load as that will have less powder and a novice reloader cant really make a mistake

hi john
    i use a 87gr v -max with a n 160 vihtavuori great flat round bang on the target at 250 yards

Book max would be about 36.5gn, remember start low and work up.

Get on amazon and buy a copy of ABCs of reloading by Bill Chevalier and read it so you understand a bit better what you are doing. None of the guys that have contributed so far will be standing next to you when you pull the trigger so they have nothing to lose!

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Get on amazon and buy a copy of ABCs of reloading by Bill Chevalier and read it so you understand a bit better what you are doing. None of the guys that have contributed so far will be standing next to you when you pull the trigger so they have nothing to lose!
    I would be happy to loan you my copy of the ABC's of reloading if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    neither does the OP if he listens

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    neither does the OP if he listens

Advice on the forum varies enormously. I'd like to think that most bad advice is corrected by someone sooner or later but how does someone with little or no knowledge discern the difference? Do they go with the majority and hope for the best? Arguably I think its safer to get a basic foundation from a more reliable source before opening yourself up to the debate of the forum. .......and then there is potential to learn quite a lot.