Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night vision or lamp??

Night vision or lamp??

Hi there,

Night vision or good old red lamp?

My stalking butty (yes... I'm Welsh) has just bought an infrared filter for his deben, i have a Yukon NV monocular and the other night we went out foxing and gave this night vision thing a go.... before going the whole hog and buying a dedicated NV scope for his .243.

while holding the NV and infrared lamp the fields were lit up like a summer afternoon (I'm sure some of the older lad/ladies on here can remember the sun shine) and as expected, along came charlie.... clear as day. "THERE'S ONE.... Shoot it" I shouted through a wispered voice, "WHERE" my mate said, turning to look at him with dismay I realised he couldn't see a thing.... "brilliant these NV things" "Aren't they" i said smiling.

Off with the filter and boom with the 243 saw that one off and we took all the NV stuff back to the car and had a good night with the trusting old red lamp.

I think the NV kit is great if you're a loner but it makes the lamp man a bit redundant.

give me a lamp any night of the week,fast to operate and you know if theres a safe shot,NV is ok for sitting on your own if thats your thing,I can see it has its uses around a pen with poults in but driving around the land use a good old lamp

Good NV scopes are fantastic .........but very expensive ! but as you say it makes the lamp man a bit redundant
    Enjoy yourself ........it's later than you think !!

The new Pulsar is very good.But i still like the trusty lamp and filter. woodfordfallow
    Last edited by woodfordfallow; 10-12-2012 at 18:50. Reason: none

I think we're going to combine both ideas...

While sitting and waiting, one of us will use the NV and filter so as not to put to much light around but when we're on the move or ready to take the shot it's going to be the lamp.

The other thing i noticed with the NV was when i took it away from my eye, i had lost my own night vision and it took a while to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger mini 14 View Post
    I think we're going to combine both ideas...

While sitting and waiting, one of us will use the NV and filter so as not to put to much light around but when we're on the move or ready to take the shot it's going to be the lamp.

The other thing i noticed with the NV was when i took it away from my eye, i had lost my own night vision and it took a while to come back.
    Yes i know what you mean about your own night vision. i always look through the n/v with my left eye and shoot with my right.Because i do like looking with my n/v when you have spotted a fox go n/v untill the gun is ready.The two systems can work well together. woodfordfallow

Cool

[QUOTE=ruger mini 14;485221]I think we're going to combine both ideas...

The other thing i noticed with the NV was when i took it away from my eye, i had lost my own night vision and it took a while to come back.[QUOTE]

I have been using NV for a good number of years now and the temporary loss of clear vision is worrying as it seems to take longer to get vision back to normal these days, is it doing our eyes any permanent damage?
    Do we have any opticians in the house?
    Regards WB
    Last edited by willowbank; 10-12-2012 at 19:33.

[QUOTE=willowbank;485291][QUOTE=ruger mini 14;485221]I think we're going to combine both ideas...

I have been using NV for a good number of years now and the temporary loss of clear vision is worrying as it seems to take longer to get vision back to normal these days, is it doing our eyes any permanent damage?
    Regards WB
    will do you no permanant damage bud i worked for a night vision companey looking thro hundreds of units every day and use n/v for hunting over the last 20years earley n/v used a radioactive battery and cancer was a big thing in the eye that looked throe the n/v we no longer use batteres of this kind eney more so as safe as looking at the tv all day hope that helps

[QUOTE=willowbank;485291][QUOTE=ruger mini 14;485221]I think we're going to combine both ideas...

Regards WB
    I think it takes longer to get normal vision back these days because the old eyes are not as young and reactive as they used to be, when I'm at the range with my 15 year old lad i find myself struggling to focus on the target once he's set the parralux on the scope and i have to move it to find my own focus.

NV has revolutionised foxing. Spotting with NV and shooting with the lamp is certainly one way but to be honesT I find the reverse the best strategy. A quick cast with a lamp reveals eyes and causes most foxes to look at you. Spotting a fox hunting the bottom of a hedge with NV is tricky as they have no reason to look at you. Once you have seen the eyes, and a fleeting glimpse is all you need, then keep the light off and shoot with the NV. I have dealt with many a lamp shy fox this way. I accept that it is less sociable but if you have a good spotter they read your body language and are also there for a result.

Getting older is to my mind the single biggest factor in getting your own NV back, much the same as I now find it awkward to read my phone and then look through my scope. Age is a basteward aint it!!!!