Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: steyr luxus

steyr luxus

so i've seen a rifle that seems nice, a luxus. good nick etc. thing is it has this PONCY barrel- some sort of spiral thing going on (forgive ignorance) and the barrel is rather shiny. is this beneficial or just a tarts handbag? are the luxus' any good as a no non-sense working rifle? reliable? i know that stery's have a good reputation as a rule. it's about three years old.

Quote Originally Posted by fangler View Post
    ..... thing is it has this PONCY barrel- some sort of spiral thing going on (forgive ignorance) and the barrel is rather shiny. is this beneficial or just a tarts handbag?....
    You are a philistine.....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I believe they used to call that hammer forged or some suck thing !

I also believe the Steyr Lexus was built on the Model 72 action . Which was one they brought out after the original split reciever Mannlicher Schoenauer style that was still sold until the late 60's or early 70's .

The spiral thing I think was for looks so to speak . Does this gun have a full mannlicher forend or is it a half forend like normal rifles .

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    You are a philistine.....
    sorry, couln't resist!!

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I believe they used to call that hammer forged or some suck thing !

I also believe the Steyr Lexus was built on the Model 72 action . Which was one they brought out after the original split reciever Mannlicher Schoenauer style that was still sold until the late 60's or early 70's .

The spiral thing I think was for looks so to speak . Does this gun have a full mannlicher forend or is it a half forend like normal rifles .
    normal, nicely shaped forend. the thing is in excellent condition.....but has a GOLD trigger!!! bit bling really........! and the action feels v. good.

It's a Steyr thing. Do you like the look of it? If so, get it, they're great rifles. If you genuinely think its 'blingy' then don't get it.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    It's a Steyr thing. Do you like the look of it? If so, get it, they're great rifles. If you genuinely think its 'blingy' then don't get it.
    all i really care about is whether the luxus has a good reputation as a solid, no nonsense rifle! don't really care about the colour of triggers etc so long as the bits that matter are top notch. having had a look over it, it seems very sound. granted, i'm not really into the blingy side of rifles, but this thing seems decent.

Steyr's are very good rifles, most on here will try steer you towards Sako's for similar money but in reality it's down to personal preference, if you like the rifle it will serve you well!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

This rifle should also have a removable "nylon" spiral revolving type magazine like the older Mannlicher Schoenauer metal magazines .

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    Steyr's are very good rifles, most on here will try steer you towards Sako's for similar money but in reality it's down to personal preference, if you like the rifle it will serve you well!
    sakos are another brand on my short list- but in all seriousness they are a much of a muchness to me. all i'm after is a reliable tool, not some pseudo-military super dooper firearm that's all singing all dancing. the bracket i'm looking at is second hand top notch(ish) factory rifle, 50% spent on rifle, 50% on scope up to 900.