Thread: hare soup ?

hare soup ?

hi all don't like shooting the lady of the fields the brown hare, only take 1 or 2 a year as they are lovely in the pot as in the field, but my last 1 was not so good think i missed a vital peace of ingredient so has any 1 got a good hare soup recipes, i have bean on the net. and garbage, ?

Have a look on the net for 'Hair Pie' as an alternative!
    MS

Last nights dinner was a mix of diced pheasant, duck and hare. Plenty herbs, carrot, onion and half a bottle of Merlot and a glass of chicken stock. 180 in oven for 2.5 hours.

We have a lot of b hares but won't allow anyone to shoot unless there is someone wanting.

hair pie a lovely alternative

Carrots, leek, potatoes, rice and Rabbit/hares back legs!
    I usually boil back legs in a pot of water for 15 mins then drain water leave them to cool, then chop the meat off the legs into tiny pieces , then through it into your pot with your potatoes , carrots, leeks, all chopped up and rice(only after you have steaped and cleaned the rice). Pour in water add 3/4 chicken stock cubes and boil up for couple of hours ohh and add a bit of salt to taste make sure you top it up with water and dont let the rice dry up all the water depending on how thick you want it .
    You could vary this by exchangeing your rice for broth or split peas ive not done it with hare yet but works excellent with rabbit basic but YUMMY!
    I call it rabbit and rice soup hahaha I never use the fillet from the rabbit or hare as i prefer to dice that up and use in currys or fajitas etc

I had a delicious hare meal in a restaurant while on holiday in italy this year, it was a simple "ragu" type tomato sauce with hare in quite small pieces but not minced, I think there was a little minced pork in there too to add moisture I suppose, It was very good, I will be attempting to make it sometime...

Go for jugged hare. Recipes to suit through google

well had the soup tonight put 2 much port in as was very rich,

Quote Originally Posted by dunc65 View Post
    well had the soup tonight put 2 much port in as was very rich,
    Is it possible to put too much in??

Quote Originally Posted by dunc65 View Post
    hi all don't like shooting the lady of the fields the brown hare, only take 1 or 2 a year as they are lovely in the pot as in the field, but my last 1 was not so good think i missed a vital peace of ingredient so has any 1 got a good hare soup recipes, i have bean on the net. and garbage, ?
    hi dunc grate carrot onion turnip and leek skin hare but don't gut then drain the blood from the hare and catch in bowl boil the hare then let it cool then strip meat of it in chuncks or grate the meat then everthing goes into pot for about 2hours add salt or pepper then when just about ready take off the boil then stirr in the blood u can also addd half a cup of. Rice if u want try it and let us know how u get on