Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm ready to start!

I'm ready to start!

Hi all. A relitively well read novice here. Finished losts of reading and over the last 6 months have been building up the tools needed to re-load.
    Have gone through a couple of load data manuals and have most of the stuff needed (including 120 off cases all Federal brass!!) now bar some sizing lube!

Does anyone out there have any recommeded loads in .243 for my Sauer 202 for 75g (Mr Fox and paper)and 100g for the deer? I have been used to using Federal power shok for targets and vital shock for deer not too bad a round! Have read that Varget is great powder but I wanted something with a bit more velocity with 100 grains.

Many thanks in advance.
    Sauer 202 in 243 and 308/Ruger 22-10/Sako Trg-22 and lots of 12g

best advice i can give is buy an d use the redding imperial sizing wax all other is crap compared to it
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

I reload 75gr V-MAX for my .243 with 37gr of Varget and boy the foxes don't like them.

Thanks 1967Spud. Can't wait till the postman comes! Thanks for sending me some.

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    best advice i can give is buy an d use the redding imperial sizing wax all other is crap compared to it

youre most welcome

atb mark
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

I personally prefer a slightly slower powder for 100gr .243 bullets
    Varget is a bit snappy and your case fill ratio can be quite low (30-32gr of powder in a 52-3gr case capacity)

I stuck with N160 (as I use it in another calibre as well)

Products - Lapua (this version is more conservative than previous versions, as before: work up to a load for YOUR rifle)
    Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com
    Internal Ballistics - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

I have two loads for 100gr, one for Roe and one for Red
    38.2gr
    40.9gr (its above the Vihtavouri max here but cross reference with other manufacturer data and it comes within max)

for 75gr I used 47.7gr
    Varget would be a good choice here but I would stick to one powder for ease of use, case fill ratio and cost personally

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    Hi all. A relitively well read novice here. Finished losts of reading and over the last 6 months have been building up the tools needed to re-load.
    Have gone through a couple of load data manuals and have most of the stuff needed (including 120 off cases all Federal brass!!) now bar some sizing lube!

Does anyone out there have any recommeded loads in .243 for my Sauer 202 for 75g (Mr Fox and paper)and 100g for the deer? I have been used to using Federal power shok for targets and vital shock for deer not too bad a round! Have read that Varget is great powder but I wanted something with a bit more velocity with 100 grains.

Many thanks in advance.
    what deer will you be shooting most of ?? as swapping and chahging bullets is a pain in the ass having to zero everytime,as to power forget varget,its Ok for the really light bullets but you dont get enough case fill also it can leave heavy carbon deposits in the throat,from over 10 year experience loading for several 243s Vit 160 would be a better powder

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    for 75gr I used 47.7gr
    Varget would be a good choice here but I would stick to one powder for ease of use, case fill ratio and cost personally
    bloody heck Ed, that's a lot of varget for a 75g'er! you sure don't mess about - LOL

Edit, just realised you meant Vhit

their reloading manual lists N160 for rounds less than 87g, so not sure if it's the best for 100g'ers tbh..others will know better than I on N160 though.

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    what deer will you be shooting most of ?? as swapping and chahging bullets is a pain in the ass having to zero everytime,as to power forget varget,its Ok for the really light bullets but you dont get enough case fill also it can leave heavy carbon deposits in the throat,from over 10 year experience loading for several 243s Vit 160 would be a better powder

All,

thanks for all your helps so far, I mainly shoot Munti's and fallow but wanted to have a go at a red! Vit160/N160 sounds good as a plan! is it easily available what is the difference???
    Last edited by godfather; 11-12-2012 at 10:35.