Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How quiet should you be

How quiet should you be

When i go stalking i am very quiet and carefull footsteps.When on a high seat no talking. But i was pigeon shooting and couldn't beleave my eyes when three roe came out in the next field 250 mtrs away.They stayed there even when we were shooting. When i go walking i see more deer than when iam stalking.Do you find you can be noisey and still see them.

In some woods were public access is heavy we always joke we would be better walking around in bright clothes and a wooly hat and panting heavily as if we were joggers !
    Norma

shot a fox followed by a doe ten minutes later in the same field, all about that 5% luck factor.....

It depends on the environment, where I walk my dogs, daily, I will probably see 5 - 10 other dog walkers, there is a large, noisy industrial estate to one side and a major road to the other. I will often see 2-3 roe that often just carry on about their business while keeping one eye on me & the dogs. If we get too close for comfort there off, otherwise they don't bother.
    On my stalking patch there is very restricted access, no footpaths, it's hard going & is in the middle of nothing so in a full weekend spent there I would be surprised if I saw another person, however the roe here are much more switched on, a crack of a twig and they stop what they are doing trying to home in on where the sound came from. Any movement at this stage and they're into cover like a shot.
    Wingy

I once spent a week on a really productive piece of ground in the highlands, I stalked twice a day for 5 days and saw one fleeting glimpse of a sika stag.

On the last morning, I went out with my wife and two children brightly coloured rustly goretex. On that morning I could have shot at least three deer!

On my home patch deer are not used to people, the least noise movement scent and they are gone. I can usually tell a new deer in the area as they seem to be less troubled by human presence/scent noise.

Buy some gore-tex in bright red.

H.

I have shot deer from a group and the others have never looked up. I have gone to retrieve carcasses and had deer standing watching me. I missed a buck a couple of years ago, my mate arrived I told him the tale, we finished off a flask and smoked some cigars, then I shot him (not my mate) as he wandered past in the opposite direction.

I have been in a tower on level II with the AW smoking, taking a leak out of the tower, talking at full volume. I thought, "Oh aye, this looks like a way to get me back for another session". When I looked over his shoulder there were 6 fallow behind him. I had a buck infront of me once (not our field) and he was asleep. So I tried to wake him gently so he might wander over the boundary. Oh come on who hasn't? After an hour of trying, he got up, stretched and walked into a bush a lay down with me standing there virtually screaming at him. Yeah, dignified, I know.

So am I quiet when I stalk? Bloomin right I am. It's all about shortning the odds the best that you can. I find it's generally not one trigger that sets them running. So a noise. Or a smell or a movement. But if they see you AND hear you, they're more likely to be off. So if you are quiet, and have the wind with you ......

I have shot deer with the wind on my back. But, they haven't heard me or seen me.

Chris

I watched a group of 12 Fallow walk calmly past a couple of gas guns this morning, and that was after shooting one of them!

As Richard Prior says "they watch us 24/7 we watch them a few minutes a week !"
    I personally think a heavy footfall causes vibrations in the ground which they seem to pick up on.
    interestingly on Sunday AM in all that wind I did my round on one of the farms and wandered rather carelessly up to a bale 80 yds from three rabbits they departed quickly only when I allowed the Scope covers to click up even in that wind a sharper than normal noise carried to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    I have shot deer from a group and the others have never looked up. I have gone to retrieve carcasses and had deer standing watching me. I missed a buck a couple of years ago, my mate arrived I told him the tale, we finished off a flask and smoked some cigars, then I shot him (not my mate) as he wandered past in the opposite direction.

I have been in a tower on level II with the AW smoking, taking a leak out of the tower, talking at full volume. I thought, "Oh aye, this looks like a way to get me back for another session". When I looked over his shoulder there were 6 fallow behind him. I had a buck infront of me once (not our field) and he was asleep. So I tried to wake him gently so he might wander over the boundary. Oh come on who hasn't? After an hour of trying, he got up, stretched and walked into a bush a lay down with me standing there virtually screaming at him. Yeah, dignified, I know.

So am I quiet when I stalk? Bloomin right I am. It's all about shortning the odds the best that you can. I find it's generally not one trigger that sets them running. So a noise. Or a smell or a movement. But if they see you AND hear you, they're more likely to be off. So if you are quiet, and have the wind with you ......

I have shot deer with the wind on my back. But, they haven't heard me or seen me.

Chris
    You say you were on a level two and the AW WAS ASLEEP I should report him to DMQ. Thats terrible name and shame. Did you get your level two.I can imagine your writeup . I seen some deer then tried to wake the aw and asked if i could shoot the deer over the boundry. regards woodfordfallow

Quote Originally Posted by woodfordfallow View Post
    You say you were on a level two and the AW WAS ASLEEP I should report him to DMQ. Thats terrible name and shame. Did you get your level two.I can imagine your writeup . I seen some deer then tried to wake the aw and asked if i could shoot the deer over the boundry. regards woodfordfallow
    hahaha speed reading always a bad idea...... the BUCK was asleep!!!!