Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: brass ?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

brass ?

Right lads and lassies,

A couple of simple questions, so may i ask you all for a simple answer,

If you are using the brass in the same rifle time and time again, what do you do with your brass,

I'm not interested in the dies you use, how much they cost, mines are better than yours etc etc.

Q1, when resizing your brass what method do you use,

A, full size.

B, Neck size.

Q2, At what point would you anneal the brass (if you do that is./ have it done)

A, After 10 reloads.

B, When ever ?

Q3, What do you do with your old brass.

A, send it away to be done.

B, Bin it ?

cheers.

This is a bit of fun but informative too and as I have had a bit of a fall out with a shooting buddy over this and he reads the forum, it would be nice to see his face in the morning after some Simple replies.

thank you

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Bob

A, full length re-size

B, When ever ? After 4 reloads.

A, send it away to be done.

B, Bin it ?

C. Still trying to work out what to do with some 9 times fired Sako 243 brass. Have some Rem 260 Rem brass fired for the ninth time today. Will keep using it until the primers fall out.

Keep in mind, there are no right answers and this is only what I do just now. The most important thing is to do the same thing every time.

Best regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 11-12-2012 at 21:28.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    JCS,

now thats a cracking reply,

just what i need,

kind regards and anymore lads out there willing to comment on what you do,

thank you

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Neck size.

Never

Squash it with pliers and bin it

I batch my cases for life, usually in 20s as that's what I load in a batch (OK I might make up 60, but the cases stay together in 20's) and once I detect any signs of failure, thinning, loss of neck tension, excessive trimmings or what ever, I bin the whole batch of 20.
    So how many do I bin? Not many simply because I have so much brass and so many calibres that actually the cases don't really go around that many times. Some like 7mm Rem DO start to fail quite early, but that's due to the way they head space I guess.

I used to shoot between 300 and 400 rounds of pistol ammo per week and cases failed far faster then, especially .45 ACP so you had to be on your toes really.

Chris

SD Regular
    Q1, when resizing your brass what method do you use

ALL METHODS!

I have Neck Size, Full Length Size, Full Length Small Base Size and Wilson Sizing Die in 270 Winchester. I usually however Full Length Small Base or Full Length Size. I doubt if I have ever used the Neck Size but do sometimes with "bought in" "once fired" brass use the Wilson Sizing Die as this fully sizes the case including the rim.

For re-loads used purely for "sporting rifle" target events I would consider neck sizing but never for re-loads used for live quarry use.

Never.

If it is "unsafe" for further re-loading I do what all responsibe shooters should do and crush the case body with a pair of pliers or with the press ram head against the bottom of a spare die.

If it still has life in it and I don't use that calibre any more I sell it at auction if used brass. If new unfired I sell it face to face or via an listing on this Forum.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 11-12-2012 at 23:51.

If starting with new brass, I neck size, if it is only used in that one rifle it will only ever be neck sized.
    Hornet brass is on around 20 reloads now, has been trimmed a few times but still chambers fine.
    The same went for .223 but only around 10 loads from cheap brass.
    Just started on .243, full length as that is the die I have, but will try neck only just to see.
    I anneal brass when I feel it is getting to hard, with hornet it should easily squash with finger pressure, the .223
    used to ding the neck as it was ejected, if it didn't it was time to anneal, the .243 brass you gave me I annealed
    before first use just so I had a reference point.
    Brass that is not worth reloading anymore I destroy and bin, decent brass I carry on using, or give away with the rifle if I sell it.
    (all that very expensive 6mmppc brass )

Neil.

B, Neck size.

when it appears work hardened or needs it, different neck markings when fired (Norma has yet to do this, Lapua has)

keep it, its my pension plan!

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Right lads and lassies,

A, full size.

A, Never

A, Let her reload her own

Each rifle and cartridge combination will set the methods used. For instance the only cases I had to anneal were some turned brass NFDS ones in 577/450. So far I have never found the need to anneal drawn brass cases.

in 303 for instance I will normally full length size. This is because it was too much hassle trying to keep separate brass for each rifle I had in 303 especially when I was allowed to shoot any rifle in the collection. Same goes for .308/7.62x51 as again owning and shooting multiple rifles chambered so meant it was not really practical to keep brass separate.

Brass that has reached the end of it's service life is crushed/flattened and kept until quantity is gathered.

Q1: When resizing your brass what method do you use:
    Neck Size

Q2: At what point would you anneal the brass:
    Never

Q3: What do you do with your old brass:
    Bin It