Thread: Suffolk: Deer management could be needed in battle with ash dieback disease

Suffolk: Deer management could be needed in battle with ash dieback disease

Suffolk: Deer management could be needed in battle with ash dieback disease:

Article in the East Anglian Daily Times:

Suffolk: Deer management could be needed in battle with ash dieback disease - News - East Anglian Daily Times

interesting 57% support a cull 43% don't there was where to say count me in tho lol
    Give instruction to a wise man and he will be yet wiser

Waste of time. We can only do so much to protect trees. If a resilient tree is found and worth protecting, put a fence around it! Even if you guard it 24/7 with a rifle, something out of season can still eat it or anything can eat it at night! Culling is only a means to support other means of protection and general area damage reduction. The only real way to stop deer eating something is to prevent them getting anywhere near it in the first place! There is no way to prevent the ash tree loss now, it's too late. Culling excessive deer will merely be a 'knee-jerk' reaction which will serve no purpose other than to reduce the population which is too high already as highlighted. The general landscape and woodland will undoubtedly benefit, but the ash is doomed anyway!
    As an aside, one of the things I do is woodland deer impact assessment. One of the most important parts of this is to try to establish which species are having the most impact. I have found that the worst damage on Ash trees is leading stems being broken off at about chest height. The culprits are Fallow! Muntjac and Roe don't seem to bother with ash that much other than the odd leaf. The disease has now been found in all of the ancient woods that I manage for the wildlife trust!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by keith@honda View Post
    interesting 57% support a cull 43% don't there was where to say count me in tho lol
    surprisingly since I posted it on here it's gone up to 61%

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Waste of time. We can only do so much to protect trees. If a resilient tree is found and worth protecting, put a fence around it! Even if you guard it 24/7 with a rifle, something out of season can still eat it or anything can eat it at night! Culling is only a means to support other means of protection and general area damage reduction. The only real way to stop deer eating something is to prevent them getting anywhere near it in the first place! There is no way to prevent the ash tree loss now, it's too late. Culling excessive deer will merely be a 'knee-jerk' reaction which will serve no purpose other than to reduce the population which is too high already as highlighted. The general landscape and woodland will undoubtedly benefit, but the ash is doomed anyway!
    As an aside, one of the things I do is woodland deer impact assessment. One of the most important parts of this is to try to establish which species are having the most impact. I have found that the worst damage on Ash trees is leading stems being broken off at about chest height. The culprits are Fallow! Muntjac and Roe don't seem to bother with ash that much other than the odd leaf. The disease has now been found in all of the ancient woods that I manage for the wildlife trust!
    MS
    good post! I'm sure it's gonna make me some money next year! Thank god people are realising that Ash actualy do drop leaves in winter, was starting to get a bit tedious !