Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clothing for stalking a Roe Buck

Clothing for stalking a Roe Buck

I have the opportunity next April to stalk a representative Row Buck on private land in Surrey while visiting friends in London.

It has been many years since I last visited the UK and apart from water proof boots and gaiters, is there any other recommended clothing or kit for an early morning stalk ?

What weather can I expect ?

Are binos recommended ?

Bino's a definite, weather - unknown to be honest could be anything. It shouldn't be too cold but plan for it raining at some point. Clothing should be olive/drab brown/greens, also may wanto consider a hat just to break up the outline a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Lol. That's more West End isn't it ?

Colours don't seem to matter from my experience. If you are stalking it makes sense to wear something in natural colours like green and brown though. Comfort and non-rustle fabric is more important and if you are not far away from civilization then there is no need to go out with all the latest weatherproof gear either (unless its still freezing in April which is entirely possible the way thing are going). Gloves (as your hand will be moving with your binos) and a hat (to make a little bit of shadow over your face and cover your shiny forehead !!)
    Some warm kit if you are going to be sat up a high seat.

In April you could have anything from 8 inches of snow to a very warm 26C, so layering is the way to go. You will definately need a waterproof and then layer your clothes to suit the conditions.

Most of the basic gore-tex nylon clothes are noisy and prone to ripping so if you have a lightweight gore-tex coat you could put that under an ex army smock and then layer up or down according to the weather. Stout boots and gaiters will be good too.

It is hard to explain how cold you can be when stuck up a highseat if you get a cold wind, wind-chill they call it, and it can really spoil your morning so bring enough clothing to make the necessary choice when you are here and can see what the conditions will be.

Basic dun, brown or olive colours are fine, you don't need the latest fashion camo, but do have a face veil and gloves.

I hope you have a great time.

Simon
    Last edited by flytie; 13-12-2012 at 11:27. Reason: Rushing, consequently poor spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    In April you could have anything from 8 inches of snow to a very warm 26C, so layering is the way to go. You will definately need a waterproof and then layer your clothes to suit the conditions.

Most of the basic gore-tex nylon clothes are noisy and prone to ripping so if you have a lightweight gore-tex coat you could put that under an ex army smock and then layer up or down according to the weather. Stout boots and gaiters will be good too.

It is hard to explain how cold you can be when stuck up a highseat if you get a cold wind, wind-chill they call it, and it can really spoil your morning so bring enough clothing to make the necessary choice when you are here and can see what the conditions will be.

Basic dun, brown or olive colours are fine, you don't need the latest fashion camo, but do have a face veil and gloves.

I hope you have a great time.

Simon
    +1... layers are the key - I wear one or two if I'm going on a walk about, or 5-6 if I'm sat in a high seat for 4 hours!

It dont mater this Nobber shows you can were anything and look like a tit.

Binos a definite ?, never owned a pair.