Thread: You can now take guns on the Eurostar!

You can now take guns on the Eurostar!

Hello everyone.

I've just received an email from Eurostar regarding their EuroDespatch service for carrying restricted or oversized items. Essentially, you register your item, they lock it up in a special compartment, and you pick it up at the other end. The key thing is that you can take "Sporting or collector's firearms" for 30 each. What you can't take is ammunition as all flammable and explosive items are banned for safety reasons, but that's easy enough to buy at the other end if you have an EFP. Thought that may be of use to anyone who travels to France or Belgium to shoot boar or other overseas adventures. Certainly it will be for me, as Brittany Ferries don't allow foot passengers to carry firearms onboard. Presumably in case you go up to the bridge and say "Take this cross-Channel ferry to Cuba".

More details here: http://www.eurostar.com/pdf/baggage/...gage_flyer.pdf

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Hello everyone.

I've just received an email from Eurostar regarding their EuroDespatch service for carrying restricted or oversized items. Essentially, you register your item, they lock it up in a special compartment, and you pick it up at the other end. The key thing is that you can take "Sporting or collector's firearms" for 30 each. What you can't take is ammunition as all flammable and explosive items are banned for safety reasons, but that's easy enough to buy at the other end if you have an EFP. Thought that may be of use to anyone who travels to France or Belgium to shoot boar or other overseas adventures. Certainly it will be for me, as Brittany Ferries don't allow foot passengers to carry firearms onboard. Presumably in case you go up to the bridge and say "Take this cross-Channel ferry to Cuba".

More details here: http://www.eurostar.com/pdf/baggage/...gage_flyer.pdf
    I note the prohibited articles list includes... "loaded firearms"... But.... No specific mention of ammo.

I realise it may be a fine point and both "flammable" and "explosive" articles are expressly forbidden... but... technically speaking the only arguably "explosive" part of ammuntion (that uses modern smokeless propellant) is the primer... and even that is not very easy to get to explode..... and ammuniiton is nowhere near so "flammable" as a motor car's tank full of petrol (nor as potent either, come to that). Have you actually asked if you may take some ammo along? It may be worth pointing out that airlines do allow this.

Well I could ask them when/if I get to that point, but it may just be easier to phone ahead and make sure that the gunshop near my brother-in-law's has the ammunition I need. They have a range to sero on too. Also, it would presumably cost anotehr 30 to bring your ammunition along.

Forgive my ignorance here - but the Eurostar is that bullet train that goes from St P's to Paris - yes? And the Chunnel goes from our coast only to the French coast? I presume it uses the same hole in the ground though.

I took several rifles and ammo through the tunnel some years ago. I declared it when I booked and got a sticker for the windscreen. It turned out to be a right palaver actually but nothing to do with the rifles. No, don't ask.

Has that changed at all? I didn't pay any extra or anything. They knew I had both rifles and ammo and it wasn't an issue.

OK so I had a knife in the car. They didn't like it and asked me to put it out of sight (it was already) So I seriously said "Should I hide it under the firearms?" and they said "Oh, would you, that would be a good idea"

Chris

Yes, the Eurostar is the passenger train and uses the same tunnel as the Shuttle, which carries cars. It sounds like the rules on the Shuttle are the same as on the ferries: you can take guns in your car. What they're not happy with is people walking around with firearms. However as far as I know, you weren't allowed to take guns on the Eurostar before. I once had to hand over a folding knife and they put it in a separate carriage during the crossing, which was a complete pain. Especially as in Paris, it turned out that it had to be unloaded by the baggage handlers, who are in a different union from the train staff, and they insist on not stepping on each other's patches. So I stood around for ages on the platform at Gare du Nord while they ran around looking for a guy from the baggage handler's union to hand my knife to me.

This kind of thing causes domestic strife as it prompts my wife to ask why the bloody hell I took a penkife with me AGAIN, since I know it causes trouble. To which the answer is that if I left it at home, the officious sods would have won...

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Well I could ask them when/if I get to that point, but it may just be easier to phone ahead and make sure that the gunshop near my brother-in-law's has the ammunition I need. They have a range to sero on too. Also, it would presumably cost anotehr 30 to bring your ammunition along.
    Fair enough... I just wouldn't want you (or anyone) to be inconvenienced by an "assumed" prohibition (or assumed additional cost) that may not in fact exist or may be caused to evaporate by the simple act of having a polite chinwag with the appropriate and suitably acknowledged (they tend to like that) "person in charge"

Life's a haggle.

Shuttle. That's what I was struggling for. I knew it had a name.

Chris

The last time I went through the tunnel with a car we were comprehensively swabbed. I'm pretty sure if I was to be tested now there would be enough residue on the door handles and steering wheel to cause concern

SD Regular
    You have ALWAYS been able to take firearms (without ammunition as it is a fire hazard apparently) on the Eurostar...ever since it first started out of Waterloo and took just over four hours from London to Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    You have ALWAYS been able to take firearms (without ammunition as it is a fire hazard apparently) on the Eurostar...ever since it first started out of Waterloo and took just over four hours from London to Paris.
    I'm not sure whether ammunition itself is a fire hazard, but certainly if there was a fire in a tunnel, as has happened in the past, you probably wouldn't want it around in a blaze.

I didn't know that you could take guns on the Eurostar. Certainly they're listed as prohibited items, and until I received this email, I'd never received any info drom Eurostar about how to get around this. But there you go, you learn new things every day.