Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Faster' powder for .270

'Faster' powder for .270

Having used some very popular powders for .270 in the past (H4831 etc) with good results, I am now looking to find something with a faster burn rate as part of some trouble shooting I am doing (scuse the pun).

Has anyone experimented with faster powders and how fast have you gone (sensibly) ?

I need something easy to get hold of.

IMR 4064? N140? R15 or even Varget?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Having used some very popular powders for .270 in the past (H4831 etc) with good results, I am now looking to find something with a faster burn rate as part of some trouble shooting I am doing (scuse the pun).

Has anyone experimented with faster powders and how fast have you gone (sensibly) ?

i have used varget in the past , but had pressure problems so i took advice from a good friend and re-loading guru (he'll love that if he reads this ! lol) and use N560 or turbo charged N160 . ive used it ever since with exelent results . in fact i use so uch of it i buy in bulk 10kg at a time .

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

this should keep you enterained for a while http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=39
    aslo look at RL17 this produces superb velocity

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    this should keep you enterained for a while http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=39
    aslo look at RL17 this produces superb velocity
    Thanks. I'll have a look through these. Perhaps I should add, primarily its not faster velocity I want, rather a quicker seal of the case in the chamber.

Thanks. I'll have a look through these. Perhaps I should add, primarily its not faster velocity I want, rather a quicker seal of the case in the chamber.
    anneal your brass

+1 ^

your brass doesnt know the difference between N160 and N150
    (BTW N140 will leave you with half empty cases and a barrel twanging crack, not for magnum cases IMO)

RL22, N160, 4831 are all good burn rates for the .270

why do you need a better seal?
    sooty shoulders?

factory Norma ammo leaves a mark half way down the outside of the neck on my .270
    I get similar from the same Norma brass and moderate loads of N160 (it burns clean so no soot)

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    anneal your brass
    The Norma brass is new (well, fired once) so shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    +1 ^

your brass doesnt know the difference between N160 and N150
    (BTW N140 will leave you with half empty cases and a barrel twanging crack, not for magnum cases IMO)

RL22, N160, 4831 are all good burn rates for the .270

why do you need a better seal?
    sooty shoulders?

factory Norma ammo leaves a mark half way down the outside of the neck on my .270
    I get similar from the same Norma brass and moderate loads of N160 (it burns clean so no soot)

The barrel is worn and has a fair amount of throat wear. The faster powder is next on the list and on the advice of a certain expert! Just wondering how fast to go. I might cross N140 off the list.

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    been using H414 for years in myall my 270s. the only other powders i've used were H380 behind 100 grain hollow points and RL12 behind 90 grain hollow points.

Ramshot Magnum shoots well in my 270 and my 6.5 x 55
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

The Norma brass is new (well, fired once) so shouldn't be an issue.

The barrel is worn and has a fair amount of throat wear. The faster powder is next on the list and on the advice of a certain expert! Just wondering how fast to go. I might cross N140 off the list.
    I wouldnt rule out annealing mate as Norma brass is very thick on the neck and is known as hard brass so it may be more worked than you think.I would anneal sooner than change your powder it a damm site cheaper