Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .338 Federal?

.338 Federal?

.338 Federal. Just thinking about a new toy, well until the wife finds out then I'll pay!
    I would use it for Reds, Wild Boar and possibly a trip to South Africa next year.

Anybody have any experience of this calibre and what do they use it for? Makes, models, loads, ballistics any info welcome.

The deer man

I have read about this a bit and have asked before on the Forum for an empty .338 Fed case to add to my small collection of .308 Win derivatives. I've had no response to date.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_federal_first_look.htm
    Regards JCS

I am just having built a 338-06
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    I am just having built a 338-06
    Interesting. I was going down 338-06 route and had variation on ticket for this. Anyway, indecisive as ever, changed my mind and having a .338 federal built on an old sako 75 .308. Whilst part of me still thinks the .338-06 would have more grunt and be a great tool, all I really want is a fast handling rifle for boar and ranges will be under 100 yards so no need for extra grunt as .338 federal will be perfect for this IMHO. Steve Bowers doing the work do should be first class product.

Only dilemma now is ammo. Any thoughts on suitable loads for a 20" barrel?

All the best

Penyard

SD Regular
    If I had a choice in that calibre range I'd either go 338-06 or, if legal, go with 8x57 Mauser and a 196 grain or even 227 grain bullet. I think that 338 Federal is just too little gain for too much effort. 338-06 if you action length will handle it is better. If not 8x57 Mauser which also opens up all the exotic European bullet designs including the very inexpensive Prvi Grom.

When I had the TC Encore Pro Hunter setup with a 50 cal ML barrel and a 12 gauge rifled slug barrel I also bought a Pro Hunter barrel chambered for the 338 Federal !

I tried three different factory loads in the gun as well as several handloads and they all shot plenty well enough for hunting accuracy out to 250 yards .

I no longer have the setup however as I didn't care for the ML barrel and it soured me on the entire system . But I can positively say it was no fault of the 338 Federal as that one was pretty darned good .

Also have a friend that has a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 338 Federal that shoots very nicely also .

With the one I had I shot mostly polymer tipped bullets in the 200-225 grain weight range .

Incidently I sold the Encore Pro Hunter setup with the 338 Federal barrel to a fellow in Alaska who was planning to use it for moose !

On a kinda parallel I also had a Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow in 325 WSM . Popped a couple deer with this one using the Nosler 180 grain BT . Trigger was quite as light as I like them but it did very nicely on paper and animals when I did my part . If I'm not mistaken when I sold that one it went to Alaska as well .

I kinda have thoughts of a Ruger #1S in 338 RCM (Ruger Compact Mag) . But I already have a Ruger #1B in 338 WIN MAG so what can I say !

If I would get a rifle for Africa, I would get something wich would have factory ammo available on the black continent. Maybe a 9.3x62, still very popular in SA and Namibia. As a handloader in the UK a 338-06 will always be better. Even a 8x60S or 8x64S would come into my mind. Ammo of these is avaible by either Sellier&Bellot or Prvi. I've always liked the 8x64S, but as a non-handloader it's a "rare" calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I have read about this a bit and have asked before on the Forum for an empty .338 Fed case to add to my small collection of .308 Win derivatives. I've had no response to date.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_federal_first_look.htm
    Regards JCS
    As and when mine is built will happily send you an empty case.

Regards

Penyard

Quote Originally Posted by Penyard View Post
    As and when mine is built will happily send you an empty case.

Regards

Penyard
    Penyard. Thanks, that's much appreciated. Good luck with the build. Regards JCS