Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: woodburning stoves

woodburning stoves

Wood burning stoves sitting in front of mine just now nice an warm,and it gives me an the girls summit to do at the weekend cutting and sourcing wood,then im even warmer when ive got to go chop the stuff.whats your fav wood for burning.

Dry stuff!

we burn mostly scots pine, sometimes birch.

secret to firewood, must be DRY.

Better go and get more in!

Morso Dove loves the stuff, as do the 2 dogs lying in front of it!

Ash is without doubt the best, but Elm is really good and plentiful in hedgerows as standing deadwood. For christmas use apple as the scent is gives off is awesome, failing that try silver birch
    ATB
    Steve

Ash for splitting, beach for burning and a nice bit of oak as a laster, for a scent never to forget chestnut .

Almost anything - as long as it is free! (and dry)

Bavarians say wood warms 3 times, 1st felling & cutting into metre lengths, 2nd splitting, 3rd in the fire.
    Martin

[QUOTE=bambislayer;486535]Dry stuff!

we burn mostly scots pine, sometimes birch.

secret to firewood, must be DRY.

SHHH Bambislayer......this is top secret, Few people realise just how dry the wood has the be to burn on a stove. It is not difficult but people insist on making the wood burn after seasoning for a whole 8-10 weeks.

Season ONE year per inch to dry wood out so most sticks take 4 yrs to dry properly.

Once dried out just a few logs will last an evening, not big baskets full. The flue will also benefit with less residue and a cleaner burn.

I do miss the log stove

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    Bavarians say wood warms 3 times, 1st felling & cutting into metre lengths, 2nd splitting, 3rd in the fire.
    Martin
    I guess the Germans don't stack their wood !

We replaced our Rayburn Oil fired PJ conversion with a new Lincar wood burning kitchen range earlier this year. I do not miss buying oil at 650+ per tank, the smell of parafin, nor the sound like a jumbo jet taking off when it was working or worst of all the breakdowns when the mechanics clogged with dust and dog hair. The woodburner gives us loads more heat, water and cooking at a fraction of the cost and is much more controlable. atb Tim

Currently got ash, willow, poplar, blackthorn and as noted some nice big lumps of oak for overnight.

Just got a huge dead ash tree (free!) to fell and log. Like to store it split in an open shed with plenty of breeze.

Maybe I should get out more but I find the woodburner has become a bit of a hobby, feeding it etc. Dogs LOVE stretching out in front of it too.