Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surface mounted componant replacement.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

surface mounted componant replacement.

Hi Guys

I have a micro sd card reader that i need to replace on a small pcb, anyone in the trade/industry on the forum help as to where i can get this done,

I can solder but my eyes are cr@p now and i don't have the correct tools for the job,

many thanks

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Blog Entries
    still looking ??

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Have you got the old one off? Often the biggest problem with surface mount stuff with lots of legs is removing the broken bit.

Can you borrow a magnifier or similar and a nice fine iron? Most surface mount stuff can be done with a bit of magnification and a little thought though it is never as neat as the flow soldered original.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Used to work in the electronics sector (when we still had one). Desoldering and replacing SM components is a highly skilled job, very few people had the skill and dexterity to do it successfully. Assuming it is an IC that needs replaced, the difficult part is to prevent bridges across the legs when resoldering with an iron.

Until 7 or 8 years ago, I could have had this work done in 5 minutes flat, now, I wouldn't have a clue where to find someone to do this sort of repair work.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Blog Entries
    cheers lads,

its a push push micro sd card reader and has some very small pins that need soldering as well as that there are 2 pins underneath it that you can not get too with a soldering iron so it has to be done with a heat gun etc.

bob.

Are the two pins just electrical connections or are they structural? i.e. is it them that holds the whole thing physically in place.

If they are just electrical then you might get away with tacking two wires onto them, soldering them onto the board and then folding them under the component as you move it into place. That would solve the heat gun problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Are the two pins just electrical connections or are they structural? i.e. is it them that holds the whole thing physically in place.

If they are just electrical then you might get away with tacking two wires onto them, soldering them onto the board and then folding them under the component as you move it into place. That would solve the heat gun problem.
    thank you for that, i have done this before but the component that is being fixed is tiny just a tad bigger / fatter than the 4gb micro card its self.

bob.

Take it to a computer repair shop or you will most likely bugger it up.

HWH.

Regardless of the size of the actual reader the spacing of the legs is likely to be fairly standard and you can usually get it done with a fine iron. It will not look like a work of art but it will function.

Assuming you have the old one removed and you can come up with some way to deal with the two pins located underneath it should be possible to get the other legs down. I'd usually make sure all the solder pads on the board have a reasonable amount of solder on them and then get one of the component legs soldered onto its pad, this will hold everything in place and free up a hand for adding some solder. Then you can go along the other pads/legs with the iron and some very, very fine solder and just melt the solder on the pad and if necessary add some extra solder so it makes a good connection with the leg. If you keep the iron very hot and just touch the solder on the pad it will melt almost instantly and then spot on extra solder if necessary to make the connection. You should be able to run along the legs pretty quickly with no risk of lifting the tracks off the board. If the component has lots of legs then work on two different areas and solder them time about so that the board doesn't get too hot in any one spot.

I certainly couldn't do this with the naked eye, but it is usually possible with a big magnifier or a microscope. If you have a lot of legs then only do a few at a time otherwise your eyes will get sore or your hands will shake.

As Brian says getting solder bridges between the legs is a problem but you can usually see them with the microscope.

Blog Entries
    8 legs/pins, and the 2 underneath.

i have a pro solder station but the heat is not variable and the tip of the finest attachment get to a staggering 800deg C way to hot for this work,

never mind ill have a look later and see what its all about, i may even have a board to try a few dry runs on,

bob.