Beware of internet fraudsters,especially this time of year.

gelert

Like most people,last week I spent a fair amount of time and money buying presents online,only to recieve a call last thursday from the bank informing me of some dubious transactions.
unfortunately,some **** had got a hold of my card details and started to buy things.I instantly phoned the bank and blocked the card,destroyed it and got the money credited back into my account.

Came home today to find a rather large parcel by the door,upon inspection had two addresses,mine and another.:-|
Hm... phoned the bank, opened the invoice,bank confirmed that a block had been made for the exact same payment last week.

Gotchya you spunk trumpet,passed on all details to fraud prevention uk,and my bank and the police,basicaly the scrote that tried to take money from my account had his adress on the parcel sent to my house.

Just a heads up,some proper arse holes out there,all too willing to take your money when you think everything is secure online.
Cash or cheque from now on...

mate at work booked parking at Gatwick 3 weeks ago, the only transaction he had made for a month. two days later a £300 online transaction showed up on his online banking, needless to say straight on the phone to the bank. So its not just shopping online that the crooks scam your card details.

That,s the thing mate,I dont know how the hell these people get a hold of our details,I mean,all online transactions are supposed to be secure online through sage pay password etc.the bank said alot of number crunshing goes on until they get a hit.
The worst thing is, someone tried again this morniing for £600 from hnh,then again for £20 at (.30, just makes my **** boil.
They also reccomende at least 1 a year to get a copy of my credit check/history,because identity fraud is a major uk crime,nevermind rant over.

Watch of you've got an ebay account. I had someone send me an e mail the other day saying there had been a problem with an item I'd sold them and they provided a supposed link to the item. When I clicked on it, there was a perfect copy of the ebay log in page. I looked at the address bar and it didn't match up. These b**tards are getting flyer by the day.

I had a very similar thing happen a couple of years ago,and they had booked a hotel room for a couple of days later,so when I asked if the Fraud squad would be dropping in on them at said hotel the bank said no,we don't work like that,but don't worry you will get your money back.Not sure what that tells the 'spunk trumpets'....I do like that....lol

Martin

I had a very similar thing happen a couple of years ago,and they had booked a hotel room for a couple of days later,so when I asked if the Fraud squad would be dropping in on them at said hotel the bank said no,we don't work like that,but don't worry you will get your money back.Not sure what that tells the 'spunk trumpets'....I do like that....lol

Martin

I had to smile as well when I read "spunk trumpet" lol

Beware strangers bearing gifts and remember that there are NO free meals in the world.
Personal greed looking for a `freebie` catch many out.
If I get E,Mails I don`t expect from strangers I always delete them.

HWH.

mate at work booked parking at Gatwick 3 weeks ago, the only transaction he had made for a month. two days later a £300 online transaction showed up on his online banking, needless to say straight on the phone to the bank. So its not just shopping online that the crooks scam your card details.
If your friend booked this online, it could be that he has malware on his PC that needs to be taken care of.

If your friend booked this online, it could be that he has malware on his PC that needs to be taken care of.

+1 the best defence is WORKING UP TO DATE anti-virus software and malware protection. I work in IT all day and also do evening work for people in the local area and the most common problem I see is a copy of Norton or Mcafee anti-virus that came with the computer and is asking for you to pay to renew it. The problem is most people see it there and think they are safe, however it is a yearly subscription and therefore is about 2 years out of date and not scanning anything.

I usually un-install the paid for product and put a free anti-virus on (avast, AVG, Panda) and then also install the free MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Then I run a full scan with both to get rid of any nasties.

The most common way your credit card details get scammed is by key loggers. These get onto your computer through an infected website and then the crook gets sent every single key press on your keyboard from that point, so the moment you key in your credit/debit card details he has the number, the CSV and the expiry date and can make on-line purchases anywhere.

It is also important to make sure that any website you are putting your details into is secure, the easiest way to check that is to look at the address. If it starts HTTPS then you can be reasonably sure it is safe to use. This won't stop the keyloggers, but it will ensure your details are sent securely.

It is a bit of a mine-field for folks who aren't that computer savy, still I guess I should be grateful as it keeps me in work!

Just to add to adjman's excellent post, before you use Malwarebytes, get yourself to Bleeping Computer - Technical Support and Computer Help and download ComboFix and RKill. Run ComboFix before running Malwarebytes for the first time, and then RKill before subsequent runs of Malwarebytes if you think you have malware.

Lastly, if like me you have had a card cloned in a garage or shop, memorise and then remove the CV2 number from the back of the new/replacement card. You only need it for cardholder-not-present transactions, e.g. online or over the phone, and it will reduce the possibility of your card being used if the strip is cloned. Must emphasise the "memorise" bit if you plan to use it online :D

Booked it online via his iPhone 5
I bet it was one of these "cheaper parking" operators. Having dealt with a few, my trust in most of them is pretty low unfortunately. These days I have a debit card on an account with nothing in it for some online transactions and just transfer funds in as required.

The most simple thing that anyone can do is check that the address bar has a padlock, or some other security indicator, displayed whenever they buy online.

Watch of you've got an ebay account. I had someone send me an e mail the other day saying there had been a problem with an item I'd sold them and they provided a supposed link to the item. When I clicked on it, there was a perfect copy of the ebay log in page. I looked at the address bar and it didn't match up. These b**tards are getting flyer by the day.

somebody hacked into my ebay account.
lucky for me I trust Paypal about as much as a field full of pikeys and don't have an account linked to my ebay account so no shopping for them!!

tw@ts

Cash from my account ! been there and done that,bank sorted it !
Parcels that "Go Missing",been there too.

I have a few things to be delivered this year.So I have a decent size box at the back door for deliveries and on the fence 15 feet away I have my trail cam. All delivery men should leave a card in your letter box if they have left the parcel in the correct delivery instructed place.

1, I can tell if the delivery guy had actualy been to the house.
2, I can tell if he left the parcel or just put the card through the door.

I along with others have had a few things "gone missing " over the years.So I am not taking any chances this year.

This is an excellent post, everyday cybercriminals unleash thousands of new pieces of harmful malware, the goal is to steal confidential corporate data or important personal information.

It’s a year-round problem that gets worse during the holidays like this period now, when the number of phishing scams and malware campaigns increases to take advantage of the shopping season. This is not helped by the widespread use of mobile technology and social networking - both at work and at home increasing the risk of financial fraud and identity theft. The only way to keep on top of this is to make sure your security software is uptodate antimalware, firewall, virus checker etc, and dont open suspiscious emails.

Despite all the spyware, firewall etc, they will still find a way round it. I dont trust any of it to be quite honest, having had someone use my credit card to go on line gambling, when I had only used the card once on line as it was a brand new card. The purchase was through Argos.................never again. Thank fully the transaction was stopped as it was flagged up as unusual activity.

If I buy off Ebay its a cheque payment from me.

Back